Please sign in to post.

Paris to Munich Night Train

Can someone tell me about the night train from Paris to Munich? Is it comfortable? How expensive? We would probably want a 2-berth sleeping cabin. We are planning a visit in October. Thanks

Posted by
403 posts

The website run by the Man in seat 61 has all this information and much more. Go to http://www.seat61.com/Germany.htm#London%20to%20Munich%20by%20sleeper%20train For the Paris to Munich sleeper information. He also tells you how to buy and get cheaper fares through Bahn.de than what Rail Europe will charge. I will say, though, that if you have never been on a night train you might want to think twice before doing this. Many people-- I am one-- simply cannot sleep on a night train.

Posted by
8700 posts

As Roe says, book well in advance (up to 92 days allowed) on the German Rail site (www.bahn.de) to get discount fares. The standard fare for two people in an economy two-bed sleeper is €389.60. The best discount fare is €198.00.

Posted by
19099 posts

There are also 6 hr ICE/TGV day connections for which you can get fares as low as €39 pP. I really feel that Steve is over-exaggerating. I've spent 10 nights in private compartments on night trains and never needed ear plugs or a mask or "sleep inducing drugs". The €199 compartment Tim mentions is a private one (no sharing). If you can't arrange for the hotel to hold your luggage or check you in at 7:30, there are lockers and a check room in the Munich Hbf.

Posted by
345 posts

And if you do decide to take a night train, be sure to carry ear plugs, a night mask, a chain for your luggage if sharing a cabin, and the sleep-inducing drug or alcohol of your choice. I took a night train from Paris to Salzburg (passed through Munich sometime in the night) and it was dreadful. One thing to consider is the arrival time in Munich. If it is too early to check into your hotel, you will have your luggage to deal with. Our train got into Salzburg at 4:30 AM! Not a pretty sight......

Posted by
14527 posts

Doris, Considering the month you intend to do this route at night, I would suggest also, as has been pointed out, to reserve sleeping quarters on this CNL, which arrives a bit after 0700. Munich Hbf, along with Hamburg Hbf, Frankfurt Hbf, Düsseldorf Hbf, is one of the easiest to get around. In June 2009 I was at the Munich Hbf ca. 0450...no big deal. no different from Wien Westbahnhof prior to 0600. This June I'll be taking this Paris-Est-Munich route on the CNL with a Rail Pass sitting in the Sitzwagen general seating. Previously, I had done it only by day.

Posted by
17 posts

To everyone ... Thank you for your suggestions and input. I'm rethinking the night train. My husband is a light sleeper, and this may just be too much!

Posted by
8946 posts

I hated the sleeper train too, the only time I tried it. Slept not a wink as I found the noise at the various stations the train stops at during the night to be very loud. One other item that no one has mentioned is that by traveling in the daytime, you get to see the countryside. Isn't that one of the reasons for travel, to see the country and the scenery? I love going over borders in Europe. There is never a sign that says "Welcome to France" or anything like that, but it is the change in architecture, the signs in the train stations as you pass by, the ads on the buildings. All of that to me is part of the trip. Yahoo! I am in Belgium now, or France, or the Netherlands. I think I would miss this traveling at night, sleeping. Considering how cheap one can stay in a hotel, sleeping on an train is no bargain.

Posted by
345 posts

Not to flog a dead horse, but Lee, I am not exagerating! The ride was 12 hours and the train stopped numerous times - changing locomotives, picking up/discharging passengers, and other unidentifiable reasons. People boarded the train in various states of inebriation and made no effort to be quiet while walking through the "sleeping" coach. The differing quality of track work caused varying degrees of rocking back and forth, clanking and banging, etc etc. For me, it was a once-in-a-life-time- never-to-be-repeated experience. I am a light sleeper so that explains alot, I know. Therefore, other peoples' experience may be different.

Posted by
9100 posts

I've taken City Nightline trains and loved it...slept very well! I splurged for a private Deluxe Sleeper which includes a shower and toilet. The windows are positioned so that you can watch the scenery go by while lying in your bed. Go for it, it's a lot of fun!