Please sign in to post.

Staying in Normandy

My husband and I as well as another couple are traveling Europe this summer. When in France our home base will be Paris but we wanted to spend a night in the Normandy area. We want to check out the D-Day beaches. What is the best area to stay in for this?

Posted by
1326 posts

Lucinda - Bayeux makes a good base and I recommend the Hotel d'Argouges. Be sure to see the Bayeux tapestry too.

Posted by
875 posts

If you will have a rental car, please check out this website: ranconniere.fr It is a few miles outside of Bayeux and is an old French farmhouse which has been converted to a lovely hotel. The food there is wonderful also. It's easy to drive into Bayeux if you are taking a guided D-Day tour.
Looks like they have redone the website, and the pictures are not as large as before, but I think you can see that it's a beautiful place.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you both so much, this all helps so much in out planning!

Posted by
1 posts

Chateau le Cheneviere near Bayeux is a great hotel sitting on the most beautiful grounds we saw in all of Normandy. Its very convenient to all the beaches and the restaurants of Bayeux and surrounding area. By the way, at least in 2009 there was a fantastic little seafood restaurant in a little fishing village called Port en Bessin--the restaurant is Le Vauban--we were the only tourists in there the best I could tell. I STRONGLY recommend you hire a guide for your day at the beaches--its worth every penny. There are 50 miles between the easternmost beach and the westernmost

Posted by
2153 posts

Lucinda - another vote for the Hotel d'Argouges in Bayeux - nice (large) rooms, good location, good breakfast. For a tour guide, try Ellwood Von Seibold - very knowledgeable, interesting tour. This is his website http://www.ddaybattletours.com/. Hope you have a great trip!

Posted by
3 posts

YES< YES, to the Hotel Ranconniere. We have magical memories of this hotel with our kids. We stayed in a family suite with a turreted room, the food was amazing, and it was a great base to explore Normandy alone. We didn't need aguide as my husband is a WWII expert. Really great time.

Posted by
9436 posts

I highly recommend Hotel D'Argouges also. It is wonderful, as well as the owner and the staff. It's like a manor house with a beautiful garden in the heart of town. We've stayed there 5 times and love it.

Posted by
515 posts

Lucinda, if you have the time, try to spend more than one night in Normandy. It's a large area, and there is much to see and do. Recommend Bayeux, a lovely town. We spent 3 nights there and wished for more.

Posted by
6 posts

This all such helpful information. I'm very appreciative. Thank you!!