Please sign in to post.

Barcelona to Marseille

I'm planning an 8 day trip to Spain and France at the end of March, beginning of April, and would like to do two nights in Barcelona at the beginning. After that, I was thinking of driving up the Costa Brava, perhaps a stop in the Pyrenees, and then making my way eventually to Provence/Marseille area. Currently have no definitive itinerary and I'd appreciate any advice about where it is worth stopping along this route? I'm interested in a mix of scenes...is it better to short-shrift Costa Brava in favor of the Pyrenees? Provence for Marseille? All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Posted by
1446 posts

Are you flying into Barcelona, then out of Marseille? The Costa Brava is pretty, but does not require one of your precious nights. I assume that you will be combining bus & train instead of renting a car? Tossa de Mar could be worth a couple of hours. Figueres is worth a stop, in order to visit the Museo Teatro Dali. An overnight stay can be planned for along the coast, between Collioure or Perpignan. I'd skip the Pyrennees. I'd spend the next nights in Provence (easy to get into Marseille for a day trip, if you wish it).

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for your advice Diane. I am indeed flying into Barcelona and out of Marseille (connecting back through Barcelona, unless there is some better way). I'm also renting a car to do the drive, because I do think it gives you the opportunity to take little diversions which otherwise you miss, and I figure it's necessary to really enjoy Provence.

Posted by
1446 posts

If you have a car, then you can easily do a "Dali day" on your way to the French border. Start with a brief stop in Tossa de Mar (pay parking behind the beach, castle end). Then hit the highway to Figueres for the Museo Tetrao Dali. Depending on your day, you can then to Cadaqués / Portlligat, before heading up the coast past the border. I would then stop somewhere between Cerbère and Collioure for one night. The next day, the small detour that takes you from Beziers, through Agde and Sète, to Frontignan & back to the highway, could be considered. Your plan sounds good for the amount of time that you have, IMO.

Posted by
1446 posts

If the drop off charge is too high, for a pick-up in Spain & drop-off in France, consider taking the train or bus to Figueres. Spend a few hours, then continue by train to Perpignan. Rent the car in Perpignan -- this would avoid the hefty drop-off charge in Marseille.

Posted by
3 posts

Hi Ross, If you want to enjoy all the scenes of Spain and France then you should go to as many places as you can. It will be better to short-shrift Costa Brava. Try to extent your trip from 8 days to 2 weeks to enjoy your trip fully.
Thanx

Posted by
1022 posts

There are too many places to list and too many to visit in the time you have, but the good thing is that you have lots to choose from depending upon your interests. Here's a link with some highlights of Languedoc Roussillon to which I would add Collioure. In Provence, high on the list is the Luberon, Arles, Avignon and Cassis. I suggest you get guidebooks to the areas. Michelin Green for L-R and also for Provence are comprehensive yet handy-sized to take along on the trip. There are frequent trains between Barcelona and Perpignan. I second the advice to go there and pick up your car to avoid the drop fee. From there, drive half an hour south to Collioure and its picturesque harbor, then head into the Pyrenees to see the Cathar castles if they interest you.

Posted by
2 posts

I'm a Canadina living in Sète which is just a few minutes drive off the motorway. The daily telegraph UK calls it " the most fascinating small town on the Mediterranean coast". It is well worth the detour and a few days stopover. It is bordered by canals on one side and the beautiful sandy Mediterranean beaches on the other. It is a fishing harbour and has the most fabulous oysters with nearby oysters farms. A fresh goods market is held everymorning with stalls loaded with local fruit and vegetables, fish and cheeses. A local company operates gourmet walking tours for foodies - there is also a restaurant with a one star Michelin. It's authentic and lively (has water jousting festival in August) and is a town that lives year round - not like a lot of the neighboring towns that become ghost towns when the tourists disappear. Welcome to the real south of France!