Please sign in to post.

Using kayak.com to buy tickets

My husband and I are trying to make a last minute decision on going to Germany in mid March since this will probably be our last trip for at least 2 years (we're expecting in July). Since we are in Atlanta we usually like to fly Delta because of direct routes. However we are talking about going to Berlin so we will have to do connections since no one seems to offer direct flights. When pricing it last night and this morning on Delta.com of course the prices have changed a little but they are not pulling up any flights with connections at JFK for the day we come back. When using the same dates and cities in Kayak it pulls a connection at JFK on the return flight at what we think is a good price ($855). I know I can click the link to buy that ticket and it appears to go to the Delta website but didn't know how reliable that was and if its actually bought through Delta or Kayak. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've never purchased from anyone other than the direct airlines website so it makes me a little nervous. Thanks for any help!
Karen

Posted by
9101 posts

Kayak is strictly is search engine...they don't sell tickets. If you like a price you see at kayak and want to purchase tickets it will redirect you to another site like Expeda or Delta.

Posted by
1064 posts

Kayak's good for checking prices. But go directly to Delta to book the flight and avoid the potential complications.

Posted by
463 posts

to add to what was stated above, sometimes you are given multiple options of where to buy, for example, you can purchase the same ticket through either expedia, orbitz, or the airline itself. always always always choose the airline itself. this makes life much easier if you have to change or cancel anything for any reason. have a great trip (and congrats on the new addition!)

Posted by
91 posts

I thought this had gone thru earlier, but oh well, 2nd try.... I too am flying into Germany this March. I have had great luck using tripadvisor.com, which is an aggregate site like kayak, except the prices seem to be "truer" than kayak (ie., the price doesnt magically increase when tripadvisor takes you to the booking site). Usinf tripadvisor, I stalked my flight for a few weeks, and finally got a multi city, roundtrip flight on Delta flying out of CHS>ATL> Frankfurt (direct to Frankfurt from ATL), and back home from Prague>CDG>ATL>CHS for $700. These sites (kayak, tripadvisor) are legit, but they just do the searching, not the booking. They tell you what site has the cheapest flight. Why not fly direct into Frankfurt from ATL and then travel to Berlin (since we know direct flights to FRA exist from ATL)? i was originally sched to come back through PHL on the flight home, but they changed my route, oh well, for $700 thats ok! Also, I found that flying out/back on Tuesdays is usually the cheapest day of the week to fly! Good Luck!

Posted by
380 posts

Thanks for the help and congrats (this is our first so we're very excited). I had forgotten about tripadvisor, I'll take a look over there too.

Posted by
12172 posts

I've used Kayak more than once. They show the fares then send you to the airline to book/purchase your ticket. It helps you find options but the actual purchase is still through, in this case, Delta.