Please sign in to post.

Strasbourgh

Will be in Strasbourg for a week in April visiting student, where to stay ($) and what to see?

Posted by
813 posts

Obviously start at the cathedral, watch out for pick pockets. See the carousel and shop the clothing and fabric stores. You can easily visit some wine route towns (Ribeauville, Riquewihr, Obernai) in a day or Baden-Baden, Germany.

Posted by
14575 posts

Dee, Strasbourg is one of my favourite cities to visit in Europe. Well worth a week along with a couple of day trips. As regards to accomodations, around the train station are numerous 2 and 3 star hotels, good cheap places, ( I've stayed at 2 of them ), especially on Rue de Marie Kuss. straight from the station. As pointed out already, see the cathedral...amazing, what is called das Straßburger Münster in German.

Posted by
32885 posts

There's quite a lot of information in the Rick Steves France guidebook, both on where to stay and what to see. The edition I have has over seven full pages on Strasbourg including a map. That might be a good place to start. Well researched information may well be more help than asking us our favorites. If you don't want to get the RS book (you must like his style or you wouldn't be here, surely) have a look at a different guidebook. Maybe Lets Go would be more your speed if you want super budget. There aren't any $ lodging sites however in the RS book, perhaps you could try a hostel?

Posted by
10 posts

Well Nigel, at 64 a hostel may be a bit much! My ($) notation was just to indicate a "not too pricey" accommodation, and to solicit some suggestions from people that have been there and enjoyed a particular hotel. I have and have read the Rick Steves' book, enjoy it and will rely on for for my trip.

Posted by
1878 posts

Hotel Cardinal de Rohan has a great location and is a solid value. We stayed there in May 2010 and found it in Rick's book.

Posted by
3551 posts

There is an Etap Hotel across from train station, clean and low cost. The city can be a bit seedy in eve hrs so be very aware. I enjoyed visiting the beautiful villages outside of Strasbourg the most.

Posted by
2373 posts

There is a large AmericanWWII cemetery near there in Lorraine, I think one of the biggest in Europe, lovely. Actually I think it is in the town of St. Avold. Might check into logistics of getting of there.

Posted by
800 posts

Dee - we were in Stras a few years ago to visit our daughter who was studying there for the year. We stayed at the Regent Contades which was not in the center of town, but closer to the University and where she lived. We liked the hotel very much. We arrived in Stras with a guidebook but no real plan and instead relied on our daughter to tell us where to go. She really enjoyed having us visit (on our own) the small towns that she had already seen while she was there. We saw the Abbey at St. Odile (?), stopped in little towns along the Route de Vin, and did go with our daughter into Colmar - her favorite little town. Again, she really enjoyed being the one to show us around. We also saw all the sites in Stras including doing one of the boat tours on the canal. One thing we did do that my daughter didn't plan is take her for the weekend to Staufen and the Black Forest area. She hadn't gotten there herself and so it was nice to visit there together and very close. We really enjoyed the Alsace!