Please sign in to post.

Paris to Nice

A group of four adults is considering renting a car in Paris after visiting for a few days and driving to Nice. Has anyone done this or similar and might know where to stay and length of time driving and stopping in the early evening for the night. Any feed back will be appreciated.

Posted by
893 posts

What time of year are you going? I've driven to Cannes and on a summer Saturday it took us 14 hours - left at 4am from an hour south of PAris and ate meals in our car while we drove. This time of year it could be done more easily in one day as it should only take about 9 hours. Maybe someone else will have a recommendation for a stopping point.

Posted by
403 posts

Dina is right that this could be a very long drive indeed; besides which, driving in Paris is not something I would ever do (though other posters such as Ed seem to have no problem). Really my recommendation would be to high speed train, at least as far as Avignon. You could easily pick up a rental car at the TGV station there and enjoy driving through Provence on your way to Nice either through the mountains or along the coast. But unless you are determined to drive in Nice...and driving there isn't easy or necessary...I would simply train all the way (5.5 hours).

Posted by
52 posts

Diana,
Bon Jour. Thanks for the reply. We would be going in the latter part of May. We would drive from Paris but only rent the car when we left for Nice and The Riviera. We might fly to Nice and get a car there. We haven't done this before so are bathed in ignorance about the drive. We kind of did the sqme thing in Turkey and it worked out very well. Thanks again Diana and the other traveler also but I didn't remember the name. Au revoir?

Posted by
2876 posts

Paris to Nice is about a 650-mile drive, but about 95% is on easy-to-drive interstate-type highway. You might want to look at an overnight along the way in Beaune or Lyon. If you want to get off the beaten path, do what we did and overnight in Grenoble and then drive the Route Napoleon the rest of the way.

Posted by
4132 posts

I really think this only makes sense as part of a 3 + day road trip, where you are touring the countryside enroute and not in a tearing hurry. There is a lot of really great stuff along the way, if that is what you all want to do. If you are in a hurry, I think you are better off taking the train or flying. Both will get you to Nice in about 6 hours. (Yes, those trains are faster than driving, at least as far as Marseilles.) You can rent a car in Nice, if you need one.

Posted by
52 posts

Adam and Tom
Thanks for the information we will consider both of your suggestions. We have also been exploring accommodations around Nice and then taking the train to Paris staying for three or four days and flying home from Paris.

Posted by
10208 posts

Driving to Nice isn't difficult, especially if you stop for the night as the other poster said. You can pick your car up at the southern end of Paris, Montparnass or even Orly. The cost can be estimated on Via Michelin and compared with air and train fare for four. The train and plane make nice trips too, as you watch the change in the countryside, but in high speed.

Posted by
6 posts

We did that drive a few years back, stopping in Lyon and Marseilles....It is do-able, but if you are not going to stop in Avignon and Arles and Aix, to see these wonderful towns, why not just take the train?
Nice is an incredible city with public trams and plenty of walking - you don't need a car.

Posted by
49 posts

I personally wouldn't hire a car. 1) It's expensive, compared even to train tickets, though a flight could be even cheaper. Try Air France's promotions or EasyJet (ou can find a one way flight for 50-80 euros). You have to be prepared for 1000 kilometer worth of gas and at about 80 euros for tolls. 2) It takes a long time, at least 10 hours. And European cars are not half as spacious as US ones. 3) If you're not used to driving in Europe, Paris and Nice can be very difficult places to get around.

Posted by
52 posts

Adam and Bets and everyone who replied to my inquiry: Thank you all so much. We have considered every one of your replies and are making our plans according to all your excellent advice. Cheers to you all. Bob, Jane, Joe and Tim Hand