Please sign in to post.

Paris metro directions

We're landing (hopefully) at CDG this Sunday for our first trip to Paris. We are staying at the Marriott, 70 Avenue des Champs-Elysees and would like to take Metro thinking it won't be crowded on a Sunday morning. I've read the directions in RS guidebook for using the Metro and it appears our closest destination stop is the Franklin D Roosevelt. Could someone walk me through what "lines" I should look for to get us there? Do we have to transfer somewhere? Any specific help is appreciated. Thanks

Posted by
1976 posts

For a printable version of the Metro system, you can google "Paris Metro map". Here's one I found:

http://www.paris.org/Metro/gifs/metro.pdf

I know this is old-school, but I compare the transportation map with a city map to find out which stop(s) is/are closest to where I want to go. Then I find the best route on the transportation map.

Posted by
355 posts

On a perfect Paris day - you would catch the RER B at CDG and get off at Chatelet/Les Halles, then take Metro Line 1 in the direction of La Defense. Here is a website that describes how to find the RER B at CDG - http://parisbytrain.com/charles-de-gaulle-airport-cdg-to-paris-by-train/

However, I don't know how the strike will be impacting the RER or the Metro. I just got back from France on Saturday and everything was fine while I was there. But you may want to be prepared to take a taxi as a backup plan.

Posted by
19092 posts

An (the) official website for Paris transit is www.ratp.com. It has maps, a route planner, etc.

Posted by
14 posts

Sarah, Sharon, Linda and Lee--thanks so much. This was exactly the type info I was looking for. It's supposed to rain for most of next week so the metro will come in handy. The maps will be especially useful for navigating. Thanks again.

Posted by
27 posts

We just got back from Paris last week. The metro lines are easy to figure out by looking at the metro map.Their also in all the trains. All are numbered and the RER is either A,B or C. The confusing part we ran into though is at some stops there are several exits (sorties). Try and make sure you exit the right one. It's not much of a problem if you don't, you'll just have to walk further then you planned.