Please sign in to post.

Hotel in London

We will be 3 adults (mom and two daughter) spending 9 nights in London (we have a number of day trips planned) in mid May. After looking at recommendations to others lodging questions it looks like either the Luna Simone or the Garden Court Hotel. I'm looking at safety, cleanliness, breakfast included, in room shower/toilet, internet access, best location for touring London, walking distance to stores for non cooking dinner supplies, help learning the bus/tube system all for as inexpensive as I can go. What are your thoughts?

Posted by
403 posts

Deborah: The hotels you mentioned are very good, and I am sure other posters will have other suggestions. The problem is that there really is no "best location for touring London". Even the central core, the area roughly defined by the Circle Line, is very large. If you are near one attraction...say the London Eye...then you will be further away from others such as the rail stations you might use for day trips. RS likes the Victoria Station area, but there are good arguments to be made for other neighborhoods such as Kensington, Bloomsbury, and the South Bank. Really, as long as your hotel is in easy walking distance of a tube stop, you can get anywhere you need to be. I would advise becoming familiar with the tube system before you go. Check out the Transport for London website, which has all sorts of relevant information. The system is color-coded, and each line is named. When you get onto a platform there is a large sign across the track which lists the next stations the train will be stopping at...if the one you want isn't there, you have gone to the wrong platform. I would bet that you will feel comfortable getting around by tube within the first day. I really do suggest you buy Rick Steves London or England guide when the new edition comes out shortly...you'll find it contains a wealth of practical information.

Posted by
29 posts

I agree that most any place in Rick's book will be good. Last October my husband and I stayed in one of Ricks suggestions by Victoria Station, we definatly would stay in this area again. Our first day we took the big bus tour that leaves from Victoria Station. This is a good way to get your bearings and plan out the rest of your stay.

Posted by
3551 posts

I stayed at Garden Court Hotel and recommend it highly for all the reasons you say and it has an elevator too and you can walk to alot of sights nearby (Victoria & ALbert etc). Tube is 1.5 blocks away and so is Kensington Park. I do not think you can beat it. We opted for bathroom down the hall and it worked out fine and we saved alot of GBP's which we put toward eating out in pubs. It is a great choice.

Posted by
94 posts

We just returned from staying at the Rhodes Hotel on Sussex Gardens in Paddington (5 mins. walk from the station). It was easy to get to from Heathrow and also take Metro to many locations. Our first day we walked to Kensington Gardens, Harrods, Victoria & Albert Museum. Loved it there. Chris, the owner is quite a character. It had the best bathroom of any place we stayed in Europe w/jacuzzi tub. We also had a lovely terrace.