Please sign in to post.

Toulouse France

I'm thinking of visiting Toulouse for 3-4 days before a Rick Steve's tour. Any suggestions if it is worth that much time. Would Bordeaux be a better choice? The trip would be in October. Thanks for any thoughts Tony

Posted by
10344 posts

The answer is that it depends on what you like and a couple other things, and we can give better advice if you let us know: 1) what are your interests, what are you looking for? 2) will you have a car? and 3) Are you interested in the Bordeaux wine country, which is not in the city?

Posted by
1986 posts

Bordeaux as a City is not worth it. If you enjoy (and know) the wine, you could spend three days there easy- but not in the City. You would need references and set up visits ahead of time for most of the Chateau. To wander around just for kicks- not worth it, unless you will get kicks out of seeing the names on the gates. St Emillion is more interesting scenically- half a day. (PS I love and know Bordeaux wine). Why dont you try the Dordogne area

Posted by
9110 posts

I actually like Bordeaux better, but it's so concentrated (except for the region's wine business) that, unless you have very narrow history intersts, you can wear it out by the end of the second day. Toulouse can easily use up four or five days, even if you skip the aviation aspects.

Posted by
3313 posts

If you go to Toulouse, a short day trip by train to Albi is one good idea. Also, you could visit Carcassonne by train.

Posted by
425 posts

The Pyrenees south-west of Toulouse are spectacular. Unless you are really into Bordeaux wine, scenery-wise there is no comparison. Rent a car and drive around the mountains - you'll have no trouble finding rooms "on spec" in October. Albi (for the Cathedral and Toulouse-Lautrec museum) and Carcassonne (for the walled city) are good suggestions but for accommodation go for small towns.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks for the information. I would be traveling by train. My interests are mostly museums, historic homes, music. I enjoy wine but not enough to want to dig into it's history. Bordeaux doesn't sound too inviting. I appreciate your time Tony