Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt to Munich

I am looking at train tickets for four travelers from frankfurt to Munich. Any idea what the cost of the tickets would cost if bought at the Frankfurt airport train station? Also, I have heard about the option of taking Frankfurt to Kahl then buying a Bayarn pass. Thoughts on that?

Posted by
1482 posts

You can travel via Kahl on regional trains to Munich at a savings. It costs 7.15€ per person to Kahl and then 28€ for the Bayern-Ticket (covers 2-5 people). You can buy all the tickets in the Frankfurt airport; no need to exit the train at Kahl. You will have to take regional trains, which will take roughly 6-8 hours. Check Die Bahn for schedules, using "only local transport".... http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Posted by
19099 posts

"Thoughts on that?" . . . . ¶ I invented (OK, discovered) it. . . . . ¶ I have a couple of pages on my website (www.germantravel-info.com/FRA2Mun.htm) dealing with all ways to get to Munich from FRA, including the Bayern-Ticket from Kahl way. . . . ¶ BTW, if this is a weekend day, a €37 Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket will cover all of your travel, for all four of you, by regional trains to Munich.

Posted by
7 posts

Great info. Thanks. How hard is it to buy and find these tickets that you mention at the train station? And you mention ,Gary, that with these tickets you don't even need to change trains? We arrive in Frankfurt next Friday the 17th at 7:45am.

Posted by
19099 posts

When Gary says you don't even need to change trains, he is referring to the change of ticketing at Kahl am Main. You purchase an RMV local ticket to Kahl and a Bayern-Ticket to use from there. Take the S-Bahn to Frankfurt Hbf, where you change to the RE to Würzburg/Nürnberg. When you get to Kahl, you don't get off the train. You just change tickets. You'll have to change trains at least one more time in Würzburg or Nürnberg, all on the Bayern-Ticket. . . . . ¶ As far a buying the tickets, after you get off the plane and go through Passport control, you come out into the great hall of Terminal 1. The stairs/escalators to the regionalbahnhof, which is under the building across the street, are just inside the outside wall of the hall. Once inside, there are local (RMV) ticket automats where you can buy the tickets to Kahl. Next to the RMV automat, will be a red/white/blue touchscreen Bahn automat, where you can buy the Bayern-Ticket. For an extra €2 you can buy both at the Reisezentrum, which you will find to your right.

Posted by
7 posts

Great info. Thanks. How hard is it to buy and find these tickets that you mention at the train station? And you mention ,Gary, that with these tickets you don't even need to change trains? We arrive in Frankfurt next Friday the 17th at 7:45am.

Posted by
19099 posts

You still have to change trains (at Frankfurt Hbf and at Würzburg), you just don't have to change trains in Kahl, when you go from the RMV local tickets to the Bayern-Ticket. . . . ¶ It's not that hard. There are ticket automats in the Regionalbahnhof. Last time I arrived in Frankfurt, I had a local ticket to Mainz and a Rheinland-Pfalz-Ticket in less than 5 minutes.