Please sign in to post.

First time travelers deciding between London and Paris!

Hello! I will be traveling with my 16-year-old son next summer - first-timers to Europe - and am hoping to get some feedback and opinions on which tour to choose: either the 7 day London or 7 day Paris trip. Unfortunately, the combined Paris/London tour is not being run in 2011, so looks like we'll have to pick one or the other. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice! Liz

Posted by
222 posts

Either London or Paris is fantastic, but here are some things I would ask you to consider: do you speak any French or have a particular liking or affinity for things French? Are you looking forward to seeing anything particular in Paris (Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, etc.)? Then you will enjoy Paris. Are you nervous about foreign travel? Then London would be a great place to live out your first adventure (no language issues, and it's a very civilized city to visit and explore). I'd say go with your gut. Eventually, some day, you will want to see both London and Paris.

Posted by
23290 posts

Of the two, I would choice Paris. Language is not an issue in either city. Delete the same question in the British section. Asking duplicate question in different areas is confusing.

Posted by
75 posts

Both cities are absolutely amazing, but for first time travelers, I would recommend London. Much less "culture shock". We didn't visit Paris until our third trip to Europe (and I even speak some French) because it can be somewhat difficult to acclimate to a new destination if there is a language barrier. There is enough to see and do in London that you will NOT be bored. I hope you both enjoy your trip. Let us know how things turn out, no matter which destination you pick.

Posted by
273 posts

I would choose Paris. The language issues are not bad, especially if you are on a RS tour you will have a guide that speaks the language.

Posted by
693 posts

If you can afford it, I'd pick one or the other city and then do another week on my own in the one you didn't visit with the tour. They're easy and fast and not too expensive to get to and they'd be a fabulous introduction to Europe. While you're out and about at home and traveling in the US, let your son scrutinize the checks and pay them (with your money or credit card, of course), calculate the tips and count the change, check you into motels/hotels, etc. You could read guide books together and design an itinerary that interests both of you. Sounds like a great trip, either way!

Posted by
78 posts

The best idea is for you to decide based on what you enjoy. You and your son should watch the Rick Steves episodes here as well as other travel series. It probably won't be a difficult decision. I would greatly prefer Paris with London being much further down on my list. That doesn't mean that you will.

Posted by
14537 posts

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, both are captivating amazing cities. But I would say London is easier to get around if you have never been to either place before...it's a pity your choice is limited to one.

Posted by
1986 posts

Liz: as I said in your other post- do the Germany/Auustria/Switzerland Tour you would prefer, then you and your son can come back another year and do London on your own - or the RS London/Paris tour. go with your heart, there is so much to see.

Posted by
2030 posts

I recommend Paris. I did the RS Paris city tour my first time to Europe, but flew into London and started out with 3 days there on my own - which as everyone has said is easy to deal with. Took the Eurostar train to Paris, flew home from there. I recommend doing this if you can. Don't worry about speaking French, if you are on the tour will not be an issue worth worrying about.

Posted by
449 posts

Hi Liz: I have been to both cities and this is my recommendation: Take the 7 day tour of Paris with RS, then take the train to London and stay there for a few days. London is easier to navigate if you are new to Europe. While London is more expensive than Paris it can be affordable if you stay at a college dorm, buy your food at a supermarket, and do self-guided walking tours with free admission to most of the major museums.

Posted by
32816 posts

<<CROSS POST>> To have the full appreciation of this thread, note that it is also cross posted to the North wall...

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you all for your thoughts... sorry for any confusion as I also posted this in the "To the North" forum as well (Paris was "to the west", London "to the north"!). I will continue with my posts on that forum so there's no confusion!

Posted by
9420 posts

I vote for Paris! My favorite place and my 20 yr old son's favorite place. Especially since you'll be on a a tour. As others have said, you can easily do London on your own - not only is London not culture shock, it's very similar to American culture.

Posted by
207 posts

If you are set on doing a tour I would do Paris, as several has mentioned London is very easy to do on your own. I love London but it is easy and cheaper to do it on your own. Either way I am sure you will have a great time.

Posted by
11507 posts

I agree with others, if you choose to take a tour, take the Paris one, then do London on your own for a few days. At least you will have no language issues there and can just ask anyone directions etc . I have taken my 14 yr old son to both places, and my 11 yr old dd and I did a RS Family tour of Europe, with 7 extra days in Paris, and 4 extra days in Rome on our own. I like both London and Paris, but would choose Paris over London. In London the Natural History Musuem is great for kids,,of any age,, in Paris my son loved Invalids( Army musuem, right from armour and swords to WWII ) and loved seeing the Catacombes.