Please sign in to post.

driving out of paris?

Hi, My trip itinerary is 3 days in Paris then 4 days in Normandy and then 4 more days in Paris. I am wondering if I should rent the car in Paris and drive to Normandy region from there, or take the train to Vernon or Rouen and rent a car from there instead. I am concerned about directions and traffic from Paris... Also, was just on fat tour bike company web page and am wondering peoples thoughts on the Bruge day trip... thanks! Also, what car company would people recommend?

Posted by
3313 posts

Reserve your car through Autoeurope.com. Look for their locations closer to Normandy and rent from an office outside of Paris. But, driving out of Paris isn't impossible. You just need the most direct route to the Peripherique - the ring road around Paris - and it will take you the Autoroute to Normandy. If you pick up your car at Gare du Nord, you can drive a straight shot to the Peripherique.

Posted by
1878 posts

Driving out may be easier that driving in, not sure. I drove into Paris by accident from Normandy this past May, when trying to drop the car off at Orly. Four hours from Giverny to Orly, when it's really only an hour and a half if you know the roads. I have driven in seven or eight countries in Europe [INVALID] have had good and bad overseas driving experiences but this was the worst. I advise taking the train to Rouen and picking the car up there. The roads around Paris are very confusing.

Posted by
9110 posts

Actually, if you rent from one of the places at Paris Nord, getting back in is also simple since all you do is get off the peripherique at Porte de la Chapelle, follow your nose until you bump a one-way street, and circle around the station. The tracks going into Paris Nord and Paris Est keep you channelized and you've only got a couple of street names to remember.