Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Austria

We are traveling Munich-Rothenburg-Passau by train, then wanting to pick up a car somewhere over the border in Austria and drop off in Salzburg (to save drop off fees). Is Linz a good location? We want to drive through the lake area staying in Halstatt first. Has anyone driven that area? Car rental recommendations? Thanks! The info on Munich airport/train was very helpful.

Posted by
69 posts

Hi Lyn, I rented a car on an Eastern Europe trip my husband and I took last summer. We picked-up and dropped off in Vienna -- so I don't have experience in the area you are speaking of -- but I recommend Europcar for the rental. We've used them in France once and in Austria twice without issue.

Posted by
2907 posts

Hi Lyn,
Driving through the lake area is wonderful. We took a day trip (from Berchtesgaden) to Hallstatt last Oct. Very beautiful. We used www.travelocity.com last year and www.gemut.com for this coming Oct. car rental. Just make sure you book the car before you leave. I've read many times it's cheaper this way.

Paul

Posted by
152 posts

We flew into Zurich and we were going to take the train to Stuttgart to pick up the car. It was cheaper to rent the car in Interlaken and keep it longer. We drove from Interlaken to Reutee, Austria. From there we drove the Romantic Road and and stayed in the area for a week. From there we drove to Vienna. The road and driving was very easy. The only problem was an hour out of Vienna when all the traffic was backed up for about an hour due to road construction. The worst part was being in the car with my type A husband. There was also a problem west of Munich where the road split and it was very backed up. It wasn't dangerous, just slow. We made the mistake of traveling that road on a Sunday coming through the beautiful scenery from Maria Alm going to Stuttgart. The road was full of people going home from the weekend, especially caravans (RV's). Also we got a discount on the car in Switzerland because they had a car that needed to go back to Germany. It was also an upgrade.