Please sign in to post.

walking tours in paris

we (two couples) will be in paris in the first week of September and would like to find a walking tour with an english speaking guide and/or english speaking guide for the louvre or musee d'orsay. anyone have any ideas? thank you.

Posted by
5513 posts

For the Louvre, I believe that they have regular tours in English each day. I recall when I was there that we just showed up that day and bought a ticket for the tour.

I can also recommend the tours by Paris Walks. I took 4 or 5 of them on my last trip to Paris. Their website is www.paris-walks.com. On their website is the schedule of walks. Each walk identifies where to meet the guide ... usually outside one of the metro stations. No reservation required. We particularly enjoyed walks in the Marais and in Montemartre.

Posted by
213 posts

I spent my first trip abroad for a week in Paris alone, while my husband left for the Riviera on business. As a former art teacher it was wonderful to visit all the art museums without anyone rushing me (RSs book helped me enormously in getting around, etc.). I took the English tour at the Louvre (just signed on when I got there-inexpensive) and I'd recommend it, if for no other reason than to get your bearings and visit the highlights (it's enormous even with a map and a plan). I remember the tour not being that long, and then I knew where I was going and what else I wanted to see. (d'orsay and the many others I visited were much easier to visit on your own). I also remember I arrived at 1 or 2pm and it was the last tour that day (this was in 2003 though---you can check with the museum for times). We're back this Spring-I love Paris!

Posted by
852 posts

Hi Sarah,
Laura (post above) makes a great recommendation in the book. The title is one word "PARISWALKS", authored by Alison and Sonia Landes (who reside in Paris). You can probably find a copy in your local public library. [My copy is 'Revised Edition', 1999, but may not be the most recent one.]
bon voyage...
P.