Please sign in to post.

train tickets in Spain

I will be travelling in souther Spain in Aug and am trying to decide if I need to book tickets ahead of time. How busy do the trains get in Aug? Can I buy tickets the day I needed them or would advanced purchase work best
Thanks
Wendy

Posted by
23268 posts

The only advantage to early purchase over the web is that some discounts might be available. It is very unusual for a train to be sold out. It might happen but I have never seen it.

Posted by
5517 posts

If you buy 62 days in advance from renfe you can get a substantial web discount on some trains. Check the Madrid forum on Tripadvisor.com. There is a great post with detailed instructions on how to purchase from renfe via internet.

Posted by
4555 posts

August is holiday month in Spain, so the trains get VERY busy. As has been mentioned, you can get discouts up to 60% off if you book up to 62 1/2 days in advance at www.renfe.es. As an example, Barcelona-Madrid can be 114 Euro, walkup (second class, no less) while advance purchase prices can hit 46 Euro. The site is in Spanish, but we can help you work it thru. Tickets are printable at home, so you'll have them before you leave.

Posted by
62 posts

Virtually all of Europe goes on vacation in August so the first few days of that month, as well as the last few, are extremely heavy travel days and trains are bursting with passengers. If you are planning on going to some of the more popular destinations (popular with locals) during those days a reservation well made ahead of time can save you disappointment. On the other hand if your travel period in near the middle of the month (when the locals are already settled in and enjoying their vacation) the trains will be empty with just the tourists riding the rails so purchase well in advance is probably not going to be needed. Train connections in Spain are not nearly as extensive as those in other European countries (like France and Germany) so I advise looking at the RENFE site to check whether or not you can actually make it from one destination to another on time. I swear that the RENFE people specifically schedule a train to depart the station 10 minutes ahead of another arriving (the one I am on) in order to make good connections impossible. If you plan to use the so called regional trains (which stop everywhere and seem to get nowhere) you should be aware that hours are often involved and using the bus may well be quicker and more comfortable. Those Spanish regional trains are pretty beat up and not very comfortable so three hours on the train vs. two hours on a modern bus-coach with AC is a no brainer.