Please sign in to post.

Best routes from Berlin to Vienna on an Eurail pass

I bought a 5-day Eurail Select Pass Saver for Germany-Austria-Hungary. I am using Berlin-Vienna, and Vienna-Munich for sure. But the 3 remaining trips on the pass are pretty flexible. So I wanted to get some ideas on scenic routes from Berlin to Vienna and if that would entail spending another trip out of the remaining 3 on the pass, since there's no Berlin-Vienna direct route on the timetable. Would it be worth it to go thru Prague and spend the extra money since the Czech Republic is not included in the pass?

I'm also considering a couple of day trips from Vienna if that's a good use of the pass, to Budapest and Linz. I'm starting to think it would have been better to purchase all these trips per leg of my travel since these day trips are so cheap when bought there. Hence my first question to make the best use of the Berlin to Vienna route.
Thanks for your ideas and insight!
VRV

Posted by
2779 posts

Well, in between Berlin and Vienna are many great sights and cities, like Nuremberg, Munich, Rothenburg. Or you take a side trip to Dresden and the Swiss Saxony canyon. You could also visit Quedlinburg, Goslar and the Hartz mountains. Make sure you take the steam train to the top of Mt. Brocken in that case... You could also do day trips to Cologne, the rhine river gorge, Frankfurt, Stuttgart etc etc.

Posted by
389 posts

Vanessa, you don't say how long you have to add days. There is a direct train from the main Berlin station to Wien Westbahnhof leaving at 20:54 and arriving at 9:06 a.m. It doesn't go through Czech Republic. However, I'm with Andreas as I love Germany and there are so many places that are really different. I was in Berlin for the first time this year and was amazed at how cosmopolitan and English speaking it is. All of the places he mentioned are so different, kind of like traveling from NY to Atlanta, to Texas, to California. The culture and scenery are varied and they are all great places. I'd add Heidelberg to that list as well. You need to use your Hungarian part of the pass, so Budapest is a good use of that. If you wanted you could also enjoy the Hungarian vacation spot, Lake Balaton (Siofok www.siofok.hu). If you have time it is easy to use the days on your pass.