Please sign in to post.

What to do in Prague?

First time traveler. Planning to arrive in mid-September this year. 35 years old, enjoy getting off the beaten path, taking on local color and tradition. Will do some touristy stuff, but generally avoid it. All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Posted by
977 posts

Just spend the first couple of days walking around the city. In and out of all the little side streets and alleys. Soak up the history and wonderful architecture. My daughter and I couldn't get enough of the Charles Bridge. We walked across it at every opoportunity.
Take a train to Kutna Hora, the site of the original capital city.

Posted by
1806 posts

Yep, same as my reply to you on your Dublin/London question...

But you might want to actually post a revised version of this question on the "To the East" board...that's where you'll get more responses from people who have visited Prague.

Posted by
12040 posts

Prague is light on museums, but a great city for walking. Any guide book will give you a reasonably good walking tour.

"Off the beaten path" in Prague, in my experience, leads to some run-down, less than enjoyable communist-era districts. It would be like someone going to Chicago and spending most of their time in Gary.

One thing that most tourists tend to ignore are the Turkish-themed tea houses popular with the Czechs. Definitely a unique experience.

Although this really a "for tourists only" thing, Prague offers an abundance of cheap classical music concerts. If you are not too familiar with classical music, consider it a great introduction. If you've already heard Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" and Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" a thousand times in your life, however, there'll be nothing new for you here.