Please sign in to post.

Lyon, France

My husband and I will be visiting Paris for two weeks, next month. We thought about taking the TGV train to Lyon for the day and then taking a day tour when we got there. Does anybody have any opinions on visiting Lyon for two 60 year old's? Thank you.

Posted by
3551 posts

I was in Lyon last summer for 3 nights. As far as a tourist destination I think it has a low appeal espec when comparing this city with other areas near Paris. Unless you have a particular reason for Lyon, I suggest Versailles, Loire Valley, Fontainbleu, Chantilly etc instead. Much closer for you and a lot more to see and enjoy over Lyon.

Posted by
1010 posts

Thank you for responding to my question about Lyon. You saved us some time and money. We have been to Monet's Gardens and Versailles. This itme we are going to Normandy, Mt. St. Michel and the Loire Valley for day trips. We know somebody who is a restuarant employee who is from Lyon. He said it is beautiful. That is the only reason we thought about taking the train there. I appreciate your information. Elaine

Posted by
1010 posts

Thank you for responding to my question about Lyon. You saved us some time and money. We have been to Monet's Gardens and Versailles. This itme we are going to Normandy, Mt. St. Michel and the Loire Valley for day trips. We know somebody who is a restaurant employee, who is from Lyon. He said it is beautiful in Lyon. That is the only reason we thought about taking the train there. I appreciate your information. Elaine

Posted by
4132 posts

This guy thinks highly of Lyon for some reason.

Anybody heard of him?

Posted by
3262 posts

We also liked Lyon alot--especially if you can be there on the week-end for the markets along the river. They have an excellent Gallo-Roman Museum if that's something that interests you!

The restaurants are great--I'd consider an overnight stay if time allows. We were there for 3 nights in January 09.