Please sign in to post.

Winter Honeymoon! Where should we go???

We want to get married in January and then take a 10 day Honeymoon in Europe. We don't ski!! We would like it to be very romantic. We have saved our money and we would like to splurge a bit. We are both avid travelers but have only been to Europe in warm weather. We are looking for recommendations as general as cities/towns that are nice to visit in winter - to specific as names of hotels and sights/activities while there. Thanks for your help!

Posted by
10344 posts

First timers to January travel in Europe, especially on a honeymoon, are sometimes surprised at the relatively few warm weather January locations in Europe. The few warm weather in January locations, like Costa del Sol (Spain's south coast), are often concrete jungles mobbed with northern Europeans looking for fun in the sun.

Paris would be a romantic choice, but you would want to have realistic expectations about the January weather in Paris and dress and plan accordingly.

If you're more interested in a place with warm weather, beaches, or outdoor activities--then you may be happier choosing someplace other than Europe in January: Hawaii, Mexico, Southern California, the Caribbean, South Florida, etc, etc.

Posted by
14 posts

I am aware that it will be cold in Europe in January. I was hoping to get advice on what sort of "winter" activities and locations are worth checking out. "Museums" is the easy answer. I was wondering if anyone knew of festivals or markets or outdoor activities that still went on in the winter in Europe. We are well prepared to bundle up and wear weather appropriate clothes and we recognize the way the earth spins means shorter day light hours. I just wanted some advice about where to go during this season -- taking into account all these factors and "realistic expectations" you mention.

Posted by
10344 posts

Thanks for clarifying your original question; we sometimes get people asking questions about Europe in the winter who are not as well informed as you.

Paris is just one (of many) romantic choices for a honeymoon. Here's a list of things to do in Paris in January

click here for things to do in Paris in January

Posted by
689 posts

I'd choose Paris or Rome/Florence, where ever you haven't been or haven't spent enough time. There is always tons to do in these cities--markets go year round (most European city markets aren't farmers markets), there are often more cultural events than in the summer (when so many locals have fled for the countryside), and you get to experience the city without the usual hoards of tourists. My first trip to Paris was in the winter and I've been shocked, on subsequent trips in the spring and fall, to see how long lines were for sights that we breezed right in to. You'll have to google to find events for your specific dates.

Posted by
88 posts

I can't imagine a more romantic city than Paris. We spent a week there in December for our 25th anniversary a few years ago. It was a wonderful time of year to go ... no lines as the other poster mentioned and hardly any tourists. One evening we took a boat cruise on the Seine, and another day after visiting the chateau of Versailles, we snuggled together under a warm blanket in a horse drawn carriage as it toured the grounds of Versailles.

Posted by
375 posts

This may not be what you are after, but my husband and I were very pleased with a trip to Vienna in January. We attended one of the many balls at the Imperial Palace, saw a ballet, toured the hofburg, stopped in at the famous Sacher Hotel restaurant for tea and a torte in the afternoon. Strolling around the city in the cold with a few snowflakes drifting down was charming. It's a beautiful city and we thought it quite romantic.