Please sign in to post.

Vienna or Salzburg

If I were to choose one city between Vienna and Salzburg, what would you recommend? Looking for a vacation with my hubby...

Posted by
386 posts

Gary,
both cities are enchanting and unique.
How long will you be staying, and what type of things are you interested in?

Posted by
2 posts

A maximum of 2-3 days in either city....we want a romantic/relaxed holiday....we would also be doing Prague on this trip...in light of this, shall we do Vienna or Salzburg?

Posted by
691 posts

They are both beautiful, Salzburg is easily done in 2 days, you could take a day trip to Hallstatt or Berchtesgaden. There is lots to see and do in Vienna, you could cover lots in 2-3 days but not all, i can't choose, you can't go wrong with either. It is faster to travel to Prague from Vienna.

Posted by
1357 posts

If you're looking for relaxing, I'd choose Salzburg, especially coming off of a few days in Prague. Salzburg is smaller, easy to walk around, but still with lots to do.

Posted by
12172 posts

Salzburg can be seen in a couple of days. It's one of the most beautiful little cities I've ever visited.

Vienna is more convenient (and I usually build itineraries based on less travel time) from Prague but takes more time to see the sights well.

Posted by
239 posts

Both great cities, but with Vienna you can day trip in the Wachau an hour or so from Vienna. It is a beautiful and romantic wine regiion with very old villages along the Danube. Or Bratislava, Slovakia is only 45 min away and a lovely city that most people don't think to visit, so not as touristy. I love both cities, but would pick Vienna in a tie-breaker! Don't worry, you can't make a bad choice!!

Posted by
208 posts

My choice would have to be Salzburg. You can walk the entire place and not be worn out from all the walking. So much to see and the city is just so beautiful. Vienna is also wonderful but much larger and more hectic. Salzburg would be my choice of a place to live in Europe. Don't think you can go wrong with either city. Enjoy!