Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Feedback

1. Arrive Frankfurt, train to Luzerne 2. Luzerne 3. Train to Bernese Oberland 4. Bernese Oberland 5. Bernese Oberland 6. train to Colmar 7. Colmar and/or Strasbourg 8. Baden-baden or some other Black Forest town(any suggestions?) 9. Rhine River area (St. Goar or something) 10. Rhine 11. Rhine 12. train to Frankfurt and fly out 13. Bonus day

I have an extra day (13) to add somewhere. I was thinking another day in Luzerne. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks!

Posted by
84 posts

Thanks for the tips. If I do this trip I plan on doing the stopover in Iceland for a few days so I have to fly in and out of Frankfurt. I have done Rothenburg (and Bavaria) in the past. The key stops would be Iceland and the Bernese Oberland and I thought some time along the Rhine and E. France would fill it out nicely.

Posted by
1633 posts

There are several options for your extra day. Adding it to Lucerne? Depends on what you plan on doing there. The 4 1/2 hour train ride to Lucerne on your day of arrival would be too ambitious for me. I just don't sleep well on the plane plus I come from the west coast. If you want to take a day trip to Mount Titlis from Lucerne, you may want to add a day. Or, on the way to the Rhine, you could stop in Rothenburg for one night.

Posted by
32212 posts

Chad,

Actually, the Itinerary for my trip this year is quite similar, except for the Berner Oberland which I won't have time to get back to this year. I'll also be visiting Lucerne.

For "home bases" in the area, I chose Colmar (rather than Strasbourg), Baden-Baden (will take day trips to Freiberg and other spots) and Bacharach (rather than St. Goar).

If I think of any further suggestions, I'll post another note later.

Happy travels!