Please sign in to post.

Versailles

Hello all. I am trying to decide if my husband and I should go to Versailles during our visit to Paris. We will be there 3 nights and about 2.5 days (then off to Belgium). My husband has been there and I have not. At first I thought we wouldn't go, but I have heard so many great things. I am actually fine with just touring the gardens and surrounding outdoor areas, don't necessarily have to do a guided tour or anything like that. What do you suggest? Also, what is the least amount of hours you think it would take (including travel time)? We are going in late October and it will be a weekday. Thanks for your help!

Posted by
390 posts

I would say that if this is your first time to Paris to skip Versailles and spend all your time in the city. There is so much to see in Paris alone that it could very easily fill three days. If you have been to Paris before, then I would recommend seeing Versailles. Including travel to the palace, I would give it 4 hours to see the palace and grounds - that's minimum. We were there in June and spent 6 hours there - the gardens are amazing! The palace is also incredibly beautiful and huge..it could very well take the greater part of the day to see everything!

Posted by
79 posts

I would also skip Versailles. Actually, I'm going in October with my husband (who has not been) and we are skipping it. I'm not impressed with the chateau, and the water show in the gardens only runs through September, which in my opinion, is the only reason to go, as it is spectacular. There are definitely enough things to do in Paris for 2 and a half days without going out to Versailles. Enjoy it!

Posted by
32 posts

Thank you both ladies! I think we might go ahead and skip it. My husband has been and he wasn't that impressed with the chateau either, but said he would go if I wanted to. And good point Becca about it not having the fountain show that time of year. BTW, we are pracitally neighbors Becca! I live in Long Beach. =)

Thanks again!

Posted by
320 posts

Jennifer - I've been to Versailles 3 times (1981, 1993, 2004) and each time it was worse than the time before. Although they keep raising admission prices (claiming that a major restoration is taking place) it keeps falling apart.

Tacky gift shops and counters are all over the place.

I love the Versailles village but I am all done with the Chateau.

I know that may people love it - this is just my two cents - I day skip it.

Have fun.