Please sign in to post.

Rental car in Germany

I'm renting a car in Germany for 3 weeks. My credit card covers collision damage and theft. Do you recommend buying personnal accident insurance and liability insurance from the car rental company?

Posted by
1291 posts

I agree with Steve. Look into getting travel insurance that covers your car with no deductible. I live in Washington (can't buy travelguard for the car), and CSA travel insurance will sell it Washingtonians. (It all has to do with meeting the state's insurance requirements) I've said it before on this web site and it bears repeating: We had an accident, they covered us 100 per cent (and quickly too). Your travel insurance also covers medical, trip cancellation, etc. so it is a good value. Some people have had good luck with using their credit card coverage, others have found that it is easy to "accidently" void it and/or have coverage refused. I have driven in Europe with a rental many times and I like the peace of mind having an additional policy gives me. The insurance the rental agencies offer are expensive (and the one I looked at had a $1500 deductible.)

Posted by
2876 posts

You might want to check out AutoEurope, www.autoeurope.com

Their rates include liability, collision & theft coverage.

There are deductibles but your credit card will probably cover these. If you make a claim with a credit card company be sure to file it promptly because they all have time deadlines. Found this out the hard way one time.

Posted by
1291 posts

My credit card automatically voids any auto coverage if I accept the insurance with the car rental company (in other words: If I buy insurance from auto europe, it voids my credit car coverage so don't assume they will cover the deductible.) Auto europe was the company that had a $1500 dollar deductible as well. We actually paid less for our CSA policy than what Auto Europe was charging for their Collision/theft insurance. (and we got health, lost luggage, trip cancellation, etc for that money) The only way you will know, is to spend a couple of hours and look at all your options. Price it out and then decide. As to your original question: I am very glad I had personal accident insurance. (to the tune of $3500 in property damage)

Posted by
1633 posts

In reference to what the autoeurope.com prices cover, please call their 800 number and talk to an agent to make sure of your insurance coverage. I have rented from them on numerous trips and their prices did NOT include the CDW. I also use my credit card for CDW. Have fun touring Germany.