Please sign in to post.

First Time in Paris

My wife and I will be in Paris this June for the first time. We have scheduled only 3 days there before we leave on the EuroStar for London. It's part of a bigger tour. My question is since this is only an introduction for us to Paris - are the bus tours (hop on hop off buses) worth the money to use? Second question - we want to see some museums - but probably not all - what is this Museum pass I've read about in these blogs and do we want to buy one? Is it hard to get into the museums? I remember Rick Steves saying one time about reserving an enterance time - is that possible?

Posted by
446 posts

The most popular Paris museums, such as the Louvre, practically always have at least some lines, even in the off season. In June, which is the start of the high season (July and August are the worst), the museums will be pretty busy, so there will probably be some wait -- perhaps 15 minutes to half an hour? (I hope this is a good estimate!)

The 2-day Museum Pass is 32 Euros and lets you get in to a number of different Paris museums at no additional charge (except for certain special expositions). More info at http://www.parismuseumpass.com

However, the pass does not eliminate all waiting. With the pass, you don't have to wait in the separate line to get a ticket, but you do have to wait with everyone else to get into the museum itself.

The pass is sold at museums, and I understand also at the CDG airport. Rail Europe also sells it in the US, but you will pay more for it that way. Get it at the airport, or at your first museum.

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi John,

We were in Paris last January and felt like a 2-day Paris Museum Pass really helped us organized our days so we were able to see most of what we wanted to see. I'd look at Rick's Paris book to see the list of what museums are included in the pass, consider days that museums are closed, and make a plan. We did the Orsay and the Louvre first thing in the morning and then filled in with others if time and energy allowed.

In addition to the two big museums we used our pass to see Sainte-Chapelle, to climb the Arc de Triomphe tower, the Rodin Museum, and the Notre-Dame Tower. They were intense days but worth it for us!

The pass in most cases, lets you skip the ticket line--I'm not sure about reserved entrance times--we've never done that in Paris.

Posted by
2713 posts

I was in Paris this past fall and took the hop on hop off bus tour. I usually like these tours to get a good overview, but this one got on my nerves. The narration was awful and the music they played was worse. If you follow anything like the three day tour that is laid out above, you will not need to do the bus tour. That's my opinion anyway. Have a great trip! We loved Paris.

Posted by
277 posts

Three days, as you know, is not really enough time. However, it is a good start. Since interests vary, purchase a few guide books. Each will give you a different perspective on the same sights. There is the Batobus that is a HOHO boat on the Seine. It stops at eight sightseeing destinations. Review their web site for specifics.

Posted by
1819 posts

For three full days, spend one of the days in the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe and points north of there area, possibly including the Louvre. Spend another day in the Latin Quarter, Cluny, Luxembourg Gardens, Seine islands area. Spend remaining day in the Marais area. Do these three days in whatever order you wish. Leave lots of time to just wander around and enjoy the ambiance. Look at a map and organize your sights by what is close together. If you want to visit the Louvre, go late afternoon on the day it's open late. If you want to go up the towers of Notre Dame, go early in the morning at least 30 minutes before it opens. If you crave over the top gilt and mirrors, visit the Paris Opera House--it's a lot closer than Louis the XVI's place out in the suburbs!

Posted by
9420 posts

We really like the Hop-On, Hop-Off buses, in particular the Red one which is less expensive. I've lived in Paris for 6 yrs and go every other year on vacation, and we like taking this bus when we need to rest our feet but still want to "see" Paris.

Posted by
8293 posts

For a first visit to Paris I think tomsguidetoparis.com can be very useful. Try it.

Posted by
22 posts

Thank you Norma - I checked out Tom's Guide - fantastic - this works for me - much appreciate the suggestion.

Posted by
8293 posts

Here's another one for you, John. Google this: "Robespierre's one-day do-it-yourself bus tour of paris". Follow the various links and you will end up with a super cheap and excellent way to see the city. Be sure to get a bus & metro map at a metro station.

With regard to museums, there are a lot of smaller ones in Paris that are seldom crowded, if you dislike seeing your art over the heads of all the guys in front. Have a look at any good guide book. I like Eyewitness for this kind of info.

Posted by
32212 posts

John,

Three days is not a long time in Paris, as there's a LOT to see. However, if you plan carefully you should be able to see the highlights.

To begin with, the two-day Paris Museum Pass would be a good idea, especially considering the time of year you'll be there. June is about the end of the "spring shoulder season" and Paris will likely be crowded. With a Museum Pass you'll be able to avoid the long queues waiting to buy a ticket. There may still be a short wait for entry, however this is usually MUCH less than the ticket lines. Check The Website for all the details and locations to purchase.

Have a look at the Paris Guidebook for ideas on places you might want to visit. The "usual" spots are always good:

The Louvre - DON'T try to see all of this, esp. with only 3 days. You might focus on the Denon wing where the Mona Lisa is located (be vigilant for pickpockets as they "work" that area). The Venus di Milo is in the Sully wing, so you could make a short stop there.

The Eiffel Tower - you'll have to queue for tickets and the Museum Pass isn't valid (as I recall). Try to choose the time of day (supper time?) as the lines may be shorter. Again, watch for "scammers".

The Musee d'Orsay - this is one of my favourite spots! A fantastic collection of Impressionist Art in an elegant old train station.

Musee Rodin

Cruise on the Seine

Ile de la Cite - Notre Dame

Church of St. Chapelle

Also, be vigilant on the Metro for "scammers" (read other Posts here on the "bracelet or ring" scams).

I enjoy the "Hop On/Hop Off" Bus tours, even if the audio commentary isn't perfect. It's a good way to learn the "layout" of the main sites and also a fantastic way to rest my aching feet!

You could also consider a Bike or Segway tour of the main sites. Check This website for the details.

Happy travels!