Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest in Munich

Seeking recommedations for best beer tent and hotel within walking distance to festival as I use a wheelchair.

Posted by
12172 posts

When you're not looking for accessability, you tend to not notice exactly what the obstacles are. Here is what I can recall.

Lowenbrau tent became my favorite but I think it's also furthest from the gate. Hofbrau is closer but the most crowded (uber crowded).

The tents are all ground floor so accessability shouldn't be too bad. Not sure how they handle wheelchairs for seating or whether toilets are accessable

I've never stayed within walking distance so can't help you with that. I also haven't paid attention to accesability on public transportation, sorry.

Posted by
107 posts

Most tents have an accesible area for Wheelchairs. I like the Spaten or Paulaner tents the best.

Posted by
127 posts

My friend, Herr Hoos, (now retired) had owned an EXCELLENT pension right across the street from the Octoberfest Meadow He sold it to a very nice young couple which hopefully has continued his tradition of outstanding hospitality at a reasonable price. It is called the Westphalia. I do not know about its wheelchair accessibility but I do know based on my many trips to Germany that the Germans are among the most hospitable people in Europe. I'd contact the pension and get their thoughts. If they could not accomodate you (I'm fairly confident they could.) they would get you started in the right direction.

Posted by
5 posts

I went to Oktoberfest last year and stayed at the Sheraton Westpark hotel, which is only a few blocks from the Oktoberfest grounds. I definitely recommend it as a good base for your time there.

As for tents, if you like food, go to the Kafers tent. Otherwise the Hofbrauhaus tent is great. It gets a bit rowdy/messy towards the end of the day, but is otherwise a good time.