Please sign in to post.

Study Abroad Student in Paris

I am preparing to study abroad in Paris from February through June. I am looking for advice particularily for longer-term travel in Europe. How light can one pack, reasonably, for 4-5 months, with both cold and warmer weather? I will share an apartment with four other students, so I need to bring towels, linens, etc. As a student, I plan to bring my laptop and expect that I will have to buy a fair amount of books for classes.

I am so excited for the opportunity to study in Paris and to see Europe, but am at a loss as to the best way to pack - to both be able pack lightly to see as much as possible on weekend trips, but also to be a resident and student in France long-term.

In terms of cell phone: Is it best to do a pay-as-you-go sim card for cell phone use, or to do the international plan through a U.S. carrier?

Any and all general help is very much appreciated! Thank you!

Posted by
1014 posts

You do not say whether you are a boy or a girl and packing is really different for each. But, in general take what clothing you need and can fit within the planes allowances. Wear coat and sweater, do not pack them. Towels, linens, etc. can be bought cheaply there, as can makeup, toiletries, etc. If you shop the market at St. Owen, you can find cheap stuff there. Also, Bd de la Chapelle has some cheap shopping areas. I would buy a cell phone there. Shops are everywhere.

Packing for weekend is a breeze. All you need is a backpack.