Please sign in to post.

VIENNA TO PRAGUE

Hello Savvy Travelers,

I will be traveling to Vienna the second week of September. I intend to stay one week in Vienna and than another week in Prague. What is the best way to travel from Austria (Vienna) to Prague? What is the most affordable way to travel between the two countries? What is the most interesting way to travel between the two locations?

Thanks Greatly
Susan

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks Steve,

Do you have any suggestions as to were I should stay in Prague?

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks. What is the estimated cost of the rail tickets? Since my trip is so far in advance it would not give me a price. Actually I have searched for dates in Feburary and still can not determine the prices. What am I missing? Thanks

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks. What is the estimated cost of the rail tickets? Since my trip is so far in advance it would not give me a price. Actually I have searched for dates in Feburary and still can not determine the prices. What am I missing? Thanks

Posted by
837 posts

Susan, I recommend checking into the Residence Arcadia in Prague. The Kozna 6 building is within a couple blocks of the town square and close to metro. Rooms are very large, like a one bedroom apartment, complete with kitchen featuring stove, oven, full sized refrig/freezer. Breakfast is included and very good. Pasqualle is a wonderful host and a great source of restaurant recommendations.

Posted by
19087 posts

German Rail doesn't give the price online for tickets for connections completely outside Germany.

Getting the price from Vienna to Prague is complicated by the fact that neither Austrian Rail or Czech Rail give prices online for travel outside their country. You could call or email Austrian Rail for the exact price at the counter in Vienna.

However, RailEurope sell tickets over here for Vienna to Prague, 2nd class standard fare, for $94, so the counter price over there is going to be less than that.

Posted by
19087 posts

Ops.

Austrian Rail (www.oebb.at) now does sell tickets for travel to destinations outside of Austria and shows those prices online. It looks like full fare for that trip, Vienna (Wien) to Prague (Praha) is €56,80 ($81.75), for any train, 2nd class, without any discount. There are also advance purchase, date and train specific, discount tickets available as low as €29 ($41.75).

Posted by
359 posts

A bit off topic, Susan, but if you're in Vienna for a week you might consider a day trip to Bratislava.

You can easily fit the travel (about an hour+ each way)together with a walkabout in the very compact old town,a visit to the adjacent castle and a stroll along the Danube into that day.

Posted by
29 posts

Geoff,

What would be the best way to travel to Bratislava? Are there tours?

Thanks