Please sign in to post.

Liechtenstein

We are planning a trip summer of 2010. Has anyone stayed in Liechtenstein? Is it charming and worth the stay for a night? We will be making a 2 week loop from Frankfurt- Rhine- Mosel- Colmar-Switzerland- Liechtenstein??- Innsbruck- Salzburg- Munich- Rothenburg and back to Frankfurt. Any ideas or suggestions?

Posted by
2908 posts

Hi Barbara,

We stayed in Liechtenstein once. It was our first night ever in Europe. Nice but nothing worth going out of your way for. Nothing there you won't see plenty of in Austria, Bavaria and Switzerland. If you decide to stay in Liechtenstein, we stayed at and can recommend the Hotel Martha Buehler in Triesenberg.

www.holiday.li

Just my opinion, that sounds like an awful lot of area to cover in two weeks. Can you fly into Frankfurt and leave from Munich? That would be a lot easier, and not necessarily more expensive. Even if it's a bit more this way, it saves precious time and money not having to backtrack. If you're interested, we have a recent (2007) "Trip Report" (with a link to our photo's) that you may find helpful. We flew to FRA and did the Rhine, Mosel, Rothenburg, etc. It may give you some ideas and what's possible in the amount of time you are planning to have.

www.fodors.com/community/europe/moselrothenburgbavaria-report-with-photos.cfm

Paul

Posted by
19093 posts

sounds like an awful lot of area to cover in two weeks

I agree. Just count the hyphens. If you include the trip back to Frankfurt, that's ten trips. True, many of them are short trips, but that is still a lot of traveling. Including Frankfurt twice, that's 11 places in 14(?) nights - almost all one night stands. That will be very tiring, not to mention that finding the accommodation, checking in, unpacking, repacking the following morning, and checking out consumes a lot of time. I suggest you try for an average of at least two nights per venue.

Posted by
12040 posts

For such a short trip, you also have a few redundancies, such as the Rhine and Mosel, and Switzerland (I assume you want to see the Alps), Liechtenstein, Innsbruck and to a lesser extent, Salzburg. That's a lot of mileage to see several variations of the same theme.

Posted by
6788 posts

We stopped briefly in Liechtenstein when driving from Neuschwanstein to Innsbruck. Not much really to see or do that's noteworthy, we just got our passports stamped (for a fee - this appears to be their major tourist activity). The capital seemed like a nice town, but unless you are collecting countries, it's not really worth much of a detour IMHO.

Posted by
46 posts

We stayed overnight in Vaduz in February 2009. We spent the day looking around the city and riding the bus to different towns. It didn't take too long to see the capital. We liked it, but I don't think I would stay over unless you really have nothing else to do (judging from your itinerary, it looks like you have plenty to occupy your time.)

Posted by
850 posts

If you are going to be traveling close to Liechtenstein you could stop in Vaduz for 2-3 hours and see the town, hike up the trail above the town to the Prince's Castle. (not open to the public) The hiking trail has informational signs giving facts and history of Liechtenstein and offers a nice overhead view of Vaduz along the way. You can get your passport stamped at the Tourist Information office. Although they use the Swiss franc they will accept Euro bills but will give you change in Swiss Franc coins. We enjoyed our short few hours there but we did not have to go too much out of our way to stop there. Below is a link to a short article by Rick.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/getaways/09/05/liechtenstein/index.html

Posted by
8 posts

I agree. This is a nice stop for anyone collecting passport stamps. My cousin and I made a special stop there just for that reason but managed to arrive when the stamping place was closed! We took a look around and decided it wasn't worth coming back to try it again.