Please sign in to post.

4 Days In Switzerland

I am arriving in Basal on 12/20 at 14:00 and leaving on 12/24 at 16:00. I realize this is a pretty limited amount of time. How could I get a flavor of the country, maximizing on this short time period. (My daughter is traveling with we and is dead set on going to Interlaken. I read that a lot of the sites are closed in the winter). With or without Interlaken, what would you suggest for this sort time period. We are both very interested in history, culture, natural beauty of the country and food. Thank you. Roy

Posted by
9100 posts

The hiking trails will be closed due to snow. But the main sites in the Berner Oberland (Interlaken is the gateway to the region) will be open. Specifically the observations decks at the two peaks: Jungfrau and Schiltorn should be open for business. You could spend a couple of days in the Berner Oberland, then take the scenic Golden Pass train from Interlaken Ost station of Luzern for a day, and Zurich the next day. http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/ http://www.schilthorn.ch/en/

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the response; what about small Swiss villages along the way on the Golden Pass? As I mentioned, I'm not only interested in viewing the scenery, but also experiencing the culture, architecture - older European charm, not so much modern ski resorts. Thanks, Roy

Posted by
9100 posts

Not sure what you mean by "modern ski resorts", but villages in the Berner Oberland like Murren, Wengen, Grindlewald, and Lauterbrunnen have been attracting tourists since the late 1800's. There's lots of traditional architecture to be found in these locales.

Posted by
3 posts

Ok, that's good, because the links to the ski resorts looked super commercial, but I suppose they need to look that way. Thanks again!

Posted by
9100 posts

They're touristy... so in a way they are commercial, but that doesn't necessarily equate to modern surroundings.

Posted by
32752 posts

that, Chris, is a great shot from the roof of the Eidelweiss. Thanks for pointing it out. The light onto the mountains in the 1530 load of today is particularly beautiful. And I agree, even though there is a Coop, a post office, a bakery, several cafés, a few sports shops and a few hotels in Muerren there are no great big plastic signs. Everything is easy to find but nothing is tacky. That panorama on the roof of the Eidelweiss is as close to "downtown" as it gets...

Posted by
9100 posts

"...OMG, you yanks I cant believe you think the villages of Jungfrau Region have gone to the other side especially Mürren. This villgae has hardly changed over the years and still is car free with no Macdonalds,KFC...lmao. Just take alook at the latest webcam..." ....OMG , you Limey's Apparently you and I have a different definition of the word touristy. To me it simply means a location that attracts a lot of tourists; it's not pejorative. Just like there is good and bad art...there can be good and bad touristy locales. Murren is obviously one of the good ones. Not counting the numerous timeshare apartments the tiny village of Murren has 13 hotels (498 beds), in my book that's touristy.

Posted by
12040 posts

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the majority of Mürren's economy based on hosting visitors (unless that would-be count has reopened his allergy institute at Piz Gloria)? That would make Mürren as touristy as they get, but as Michael noted, that's a neutral statement. I would rather spend time in touristy Mürren than many other non-touristy towns.

Posted by
281 posts

As an alternative suggestion, you might consider going to Luzern and then taking the Luzern-Stans-Engleberg Bahn (Railway) to the village of Engleberg, very picturesque and taking the lift up Mount Titlis, the highest point in "central Switerland" at over 10,000 ft.