Please sign in to post.

Paris, France

We are two women ages 62 and 31 travelling alone to Paris next week. We are staying at a nice hotel near the Opera and mostly visiting the museums and highlights of the city. Other than pickpockets, how safe are the streets and metro? Should we plan to be back at the hotel by sunset?

Posted by
8700 posts

Don't hesitate to use the metro and walk the streets well into the night. So long as you keep your money secure in a money belt, use common sense, and stay observant, you'll be perfectly safe.

Posted by
9403 posts

Paris is extremely safe. Safer, by far, than any city in the US. The worst that will happen is you are pickpocketed, which you can avoid by taking precautions. I wouldn't think twice about walking around Paris (from the 1st to at least the 15th arrondissement) even in the middle of the night, and certainly well after sunset. Paris is very, very safe.

Posted by
150 posts

Do not miss out on Paris at night time! It is known as the City of Lights after all.

Posted by
2030 posts

I'm in your age group and never have felt the slightest bit unsafe in Paris, day or night. Be reasonably alert and use a money belt, relax and have a great time.

Posted by
13 posts

I was just in Paris last week with my sister (who is temporarily living there) and daughter. we were out and about late every evening-taking the metro-sometimes at 11-12:00. I had the same concerns, but my sister assured me it was very safe and it was! As ohters have posted, Paris is beautiful at night. Enjoy!

Posted by
88 posts

My twin sister and I celebrated our 51st birthday in Paris in October and felt perfectly safe everywhere we went, on foot and in the metro, even after dark. Just as the others have said, be alert to your surroundings and keep track of your belongings. We did see a ring scammer working on a man and a 'do you speak english' woman tried her scam on my sister but we just walked away. Have fun!!

Posted by
582 posts

I'm a very petite woman that traveled to Paris alone, just about a week ago.
I felt very safe, but I did wear a money belt just to play it safe. I loved the people in Paris! Very helpful and friendly! Have fun!!!

Posted by
11507 posts

Take normal precautions,,, no stumbling home drunk down dark alleys after midnight,LOL

Seriously though, I feel very safe in central touristy Paris,, I have been alone,, and taken my kids with me .. and I consider it very safe.

My age is almost smack inbetween you and your travel partner,, but, I have visited Paris for over many years.

Last summer (2008), while visiting Paris, I was sick , and I gave my then 12 yr old dd some money to go buy us sandwiches down the street,while I stayed in bed at hotel, , and the when I brought my 14 yr old son to Paris a few years before that,, I often gave him money to go down to bakery near hotel,, or ( shame shame I know) go to McDonalds.

In busy touristy areas,, I feel very safe,, I don't talk to strangers, and I do tend to walk with purpose,, but really, you will be fine. Just watch your stuff.

Posted by
9403 posts

Even in quiet, non-tourist areas, Paris is very safe.

Posted by
11507 posts

Susan,, Paris is a city with over 3 million people in it,, so of course are less desirable areas..We who love and travel often to Paris need to be careful not to wear our rose colored glasses all the time..LOL

Paris IS safe as any large city,, and SAFER then many,, but do not kid yourself,, there are areas a tourist ,, or any woman alone, would be foolish to wander through late at night. Mary and her travel companion will not likely stumble into these areas as they are mostly in the far outer areas,, basically the suburbs of Paris, where there are no tourist sites.

Posted by
9403 posts

Pat, you said in "busy, touristy areas you feel safe". I am simply saying that most, if not all of Paris, is safe not just in "busy, touristy areas" but also in quiet, un-touristy areas. That is my opinion.

Yes, some suburbs may be sketchy very late at night, but as you said, tourists are not likely to go to those areas. When I say "Paris", I am referring to arrondissements 1-20. There are more areas of 1-20 that are not busy and touristy than are, and those quiet areas are perfectly safe.

I do not wear rose colored glasses when it comes to Paris. I don't know why you assume I do.

Posted by
11507 posts

Susan,, made no assumption about you personally,, try not to be too defensive.

Posted by
87 posts

My fiancee and I are both over 60 and stay out 'til the last metro runs, after midnight, and have never felt unsafe. As has been said before, Paris is the City of Lights. Just be a little careful and enjoy. It's simply beautiful.

Posted by
9403 posts

Pat, you addressed your post to me so it's only natural that I would think you were talking to me.

Posted by
11507 posts

Sorry susan,, a misunderstanding,, I said "we who love Paris" meaning all of us.. not just you,, or not just you or me,, I could have worded it better. I think we basically agree on the points.. but have just worded things differently..

I always walk a fine line on these types of "is Paris safe?" type questions. I do believe for a large city it is very safe, but I hate to think anyone might take it too literally,, one needs to be careful in any city,, small or large. Sometimes, , when people are in beautiful places,, they forget that even there there can be that one bad apple. My best friend was murdered in beautiful Hawaii.. so I am very aware, but,, I still travel solo,, and love it,, and consider common sense a huge factor in keeping anyone safe. I personally would not like to visit a city where the crime rate is very high,, there are a few I can think of,, but they shall remain nameless.. and even in those places there are definately safe and less safe areas.. same with Paris.

Posted by
448 posts

I so love it when a question brings up an interesting discussion...Yes Paris does get dark after sunset, but i think it's as safe as any other city...I don't really like being alone on a train wagon on the way home, so try to find one with co-riders...an empty car shouldn't be a problem in the city....Anyhow, don't let tiny bits of fear stop you from taking the Metro to Trocadero to see the new lights to celebrate the 120 birthday of the tour Eiffel...12 minutes of extra special lights every night at 8, 9, 10 and 11 pm..so far i'v' only seen on tv.

Posted by
9403 posts

When people ask if Paris is safe, it's all relative. It depends on where you're comparing it to. I compare it to cities in the US...SF, NY, Dallas, Chicago, Detroit, Miami, Honolulu, etc. and the answer to the question, for me, is a resounding yes, Paris is extremely safe. I would even go so far as to say that Paris is safer than most towns in the US. I have never heard of any violent crime against a tourist in Paris. Doesn't mean there hasn't been, I've just never heard of it. Here, in SF, tourists are, very sadly, murdered all too often. Standing at an ATM machine in broad daylight, for instance. It's also relative as to what people mean by 'safe"..for me, it's violent crime, not pickpocketing. And you're so right Pat, most crime is not in the Paris that tourists go to but in the outlying suburbs where there are lots of immigrants. Violent crime is not a part of French culture like it is here in the US. I'm so sorry about your friend being murdered in Hawaii, that's horrific.

Posted by
360 posts

Mary, I hope you don't return to your room at sunset. Paris is beautiful at night & shouldn't be missed. I've been traveling there by myself for the past 20 yrs & haven't yet felt threatened by anyone.

Posted by
1815 posts

I agree...Paris, Venice, Rome, London are all safe (day or night)if you take the necessary precautions.
I came home last Fri to a flyer from the police that someone in my supposed very safe neighborhood in a suburb of Minneapolis had been accosted going from her garage to her house at 10:30 the previous Sat night. When she said she had no money with her, the man hit her in the face! Now I feel safer in Europe at night than my own backyard.