Please sign in to post.

bayern ticket

question: can my wife and i buy a bayern ticket to get from Salzburg to Munich? I know you can do it the other way because Salzburg is a border station, but didn't see anything in Rick's book about the other way around. Thanks for the help.

Posted by
19106 posts

I called German Rail about this very question within the last year.

Of course, you can use the Bayern-Ticket from Salzburg to Munich (or anywhere else in Bavaria for that matter and for all the transport in Munich when you get there), but where do you buy it?

I was told that there are German Rail ticket automats in Salzburg, and you can buy a Bayern-Ticket from one of them, but the ticket counter is only Austrian Rail, and they will not sell a Bayern-Ticket.

The blue/white regional train automats are easy to use. Near the bottom of the columns of buttons on the right side of the automat you will find a button for "Bayern-Ticket". There will also be buttons for Bayern-Ticket Single (one person) or Bayern-Ticket-Nacht, but you probably don't want one of those.

The red/white/blue Vernverkehr automats have touch-screen displays, can be made to display in English, and are pretty straight-forward. Just follow the instuctions.

Posted by
80 posts

thanks so much for the quick reply! that should help quite a bit. our trip isn't for awhile yet, but i am trying to do as much pre planning as possible.

Posted by
1483 posts

In the Salzburg train station there is both a "DB" (Deutsches Bahn = German train) ticket machine and a "DB" ticket counter. You can buy a Bayern-Ticket at either. Just avoid the more numerous "ÖBB" (Austrian ticket machines).

Posted by
19106 posts

Well, the presence of a DB ticket counter in Salzburg conflicts with what I was told by DB, but maybe they have changed since I asked. Good. For those people intimidated by machines, it gives another (albeit €2 more expensive option). But for those people who want to save the most money (isn't that the idea of the Bayern-Ticket?), the automats offer the best price.

Posted by
7209 posts

I attempted to purchase a Bayern Ticket from one of those confusing machines in the Munich Airport. I've used automatic ticket machines before, but I've never seen such a confusing array of buttons and choices. Yes, I bought something which, of course, was the wrong thing. I ended buying another "correct" ticket from the conductor on the train from Munich to Salzburg where I was attempting to use my incorrect ticket. Do yourself a favor and ask the ticket counter attendant if you are confused...it will save you money in the end.

Posted by
51 posts

You could also purchase the ticket early if you know the day you will be using it. I have done it at the DB counter buying the ticket for a couple of days ahead of time. That way if you are concerned about buying it in Salzburg you can just do it in Munich before you leave, or for that matter, any other town that sells DB tickets. I also have used ticket machines without any problems. Once you figure it all out it is relatively simple. If you would like I can send you info from a website that shows the front of ticket machines and how to use them. It was very helpful for me and I just returned last night from traveling for 19 days in Germany and Austria.

Posted by
956 posts

Yes Kathy, can you give the info for the front of the train ticket machines? Thanks!