Please sign in to post.

Italy in March

My wife and I are thinking about going to Italy...Rome, Florence, Venice, and Cinque Terre. We were considering April or May but realized air fare was a lot cheaper in March, even during the second half of March. Any thoughts on whether March is a good time to visit these cities in Italy or should we pay the extra money for April or May?

Posted by
10344 posts

Here's a site that gives weather information, input your dates and locations

http://www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp

The weather next March can't be predicted but at least this gives you some factual data upon which to base realistic expectations of what the weather might be at that time in those locations.

Posted by
536 posts

Bob - The weather that time of year in Italy can be a bit dicey - I would always suggest april or May - Perfect - Not real crowded and very pleasant, especially in Le Cinque Terre

Greg

Posted by
416 posts

I was in Italy in March '08 and most of our time was in Northern Italy (including Venice). Weather was fine, just don't expect a lot of sunshine. It may actually be a bit warmer than you are accustomed to in Richmond. Generally the temps were in the 40's for the lows and the 60's for the highs. I think it is a GREAT time to go because the crowds are so much smaller and the prices are cheaper.

Posted by
44 posts

Just a thought but I saved quite a bit of money by flying into Milan and out of Rome. Went to Milan, Venice, Florence, Pisa, Cinque Terre and Rome. I would only go back to Venice and Cinque Terre. Loved both cities! You'll have a great time regardless of when you go.

Posted by
47 posts

We were in the Rome for three days this past March 15-17. The weather was great. Perhaps a little chilly but we warmed up quickly since we were always walking. I wore a t-shirt all day and a sweater at night. Can be a beat of a gamble that early in the spring weather wise. On the flip side, we didn't have to stand on any lines more than 2 minutes. It's like getting VIP admission priority anywhere in Rome. We are going again in late March next year.... keep on traveling

Posted by
2186 posts

We went to Sicily a couple of years ago, arriving on March 19, and it was COLD and rainy, even that far south. One problem is that it can be colder in the old stone buildings than it is outside. Eating in cold restaurants didn't do much for me, and some of our lodgings were also cold. (Yes, we try to stay in relatively inexpensive places.) We had some beautiful days, too, but I have preferred our mid-May trips.

Posted by
56 posts

My family went to Venice, Vicenza, Padova, and Verona in March 2008...no issues. It was a little chilly a couple of days and it rained a couple days, but otherwise great weather. However, as stated before the weather in March is a roll of the dice; sometimes it can be good and sometimes not so much.

Posted by
13 posts

We were in Rome,Florence, Sienna and Venice in the middle of March 2 years ago and it was fine. Never needed more than a long sleeve shirt with a warmer jacket over it. In Venice it was actually warm enough to walk around in short sleeves. When it rained, we donned raincoats and umbreallas and went. Have fun!

Posted by
1170 posts

It is more rainy and cold in March than April or May. I prefer May because the weather is near perfect, and April is riddled with holidays that will tranlate to places being closed on those days. Since the Easter holidays are in April, you will probably see less availability and higher prices. Go for May (after the May 1 holiday).