Please sign in to post.

Honeymoon Help!

I'm planning my honeymoon for next June 27-July 11. My soon to be wife has not been to Europe, save a trip we took to Ireland last year. I was thinking we fly into Milan and after walking around take the train down to Cinque Terra for 3 full days. Then take the train to Gimmelwald and spend 3 full days there. Then train it up to Paris and spend our last 4 full days there. I've been to Gimmelwald and Paris before. I'd like to incorporate a night train if it is sensible. Perhaps on the day we travel up to Gimmelwald we could leave CT, go to Pisa for a few hours, then over to Florence for dinner, then night train it to Spiez? 1 night in Florence, a full day, then a night train thus cutting down on Gimmelwald time? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted by
71 posts

Sometimes after all the planning of a wedding people want to have a more relaxing honeymoon, even if they usually like to do a lot when traveling. It depends on your wedding and what you like, of course, but particularly the Cinque Terre - Pisa - Florence part of it sounds like a lot of travel to cram in.

Posted by
32209 posts

John,

First of all, congratulations!

Regarding your Itinerary (and considering the occasion), I'd suggest a more "relaxed" Itinerary. A trip of 14-days is NOT a long time for travels in Europe (especially as you'll lose the first day in flight time), and it will be important to allow enough travel time between destinations. My suggestion would be to leave Pisa, Florence and Spiez for the next trip.

Rather than stopping in Milan, you might consider spending a few days on Lago di Como. As Rick says on his show, it's a perfect spot for Luna di Miele and you could also have a look at Bellagio or other spots on the lake as well. Varenna is only an hour north of Milan, so would be an easy stop after a transatlantic fight.

I haven't checked the details, but I wouldn't bother with a night train, as all the legs of your journey are fairly short and easily done with day trains.

Good luck with your planning!