Please sign in to post.

Home base in Provence?

I am in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to France next summer with my wife. We are planning to spend a few days in Paris before traveling to Provence for a few days. Once in Provence we would like to stay in a central location and make day trips to some of the other great locations in Provence and the Rivieria. We'd like something laid back and relaxing (but interesting), and central enough that we can catch a train to just about anywhere in the region. Any thoughts?

Posted by
4132 posts

It's really not worth all the driving, or time on the train, to use Provence as a base for day trips to the Riviera.

Dale has it right about Arles being a good base, and a car will let you see more in a short time, but there's lots to see that is accessible by rail and bus.

If you really just have a few days I'd save the Riviera for another trip.

Posted by
250 posts

My wife and I just returned from a trip to the south: Provence, Languedoc, and the Dordogne. While in Provence, we based in Arles and day-tripped from there. Arles was interesting in its own right. A car was essential for the day-tripping, especially to get to remote, must-see locations like the Pont du Gard and Les Baux. As far as I know, there's no train service to either one (at the least it would be verrrry indirect). The car was fairly easy to deal with in Arles. If you're just going to major cities like Nice or Avignon, then trains would work fine. HIGHLY recommend the Dordogne, though.

Posted by
19 posts

How would you compare Arles with Aix (as far as being a base)? I read in a post further down where someone based in Aix.

Posted by
253 posts

For some reason, the restauants in Arles are superior to most places in France. It is also a better location then Aix. Access to other places in Provence are easily reachable by car or train, but the Pont du Gard and touring the Luberon have to be done by car. The Rivieria is out of the way.

BTW, a few years back, my wife and I went swimming under the Pont du Gard at a local camping ground with only locals there. This was a great experience, looking up at that Roman artifact above us.

Posted by
4132 posts

Aix is charming, and convenient to Marseilles, but Arles has more to see and is just a short train ride to Avignon, Orange, and Nimes. Closer to many other Provencal sights too.