Please sign in to post.

Hot air balloon ride + Loire Valley

I'm going to France the first 2 weeks of October with a friend, the first week will be in Paris and then we're renting a car and roadtripping south.

I'm thinking of surprising my friend and organizing a hot air balloon ride over the Loire Valley. Has anyone done this and if yes, is it worth it? Any vendors you would recommend? If I do it, should I reserve before I leave or wait until we're in Paris? I have more or less an idea of what day we would do it and would be a weekday.

I've Googled and found a couple different vendors (one was all in French even though it has an "English" option, which doesn't work), just wondering about experiences. Also, how does it work to know where you have to go for the start of the trip and what time you have to be there by? Just trying to plan our time a bit.

Thanks!

Posted by
9363 posts

I haven't done it in the Loire Valley, so I can't be of any help there specifically. The company will tell you where you need to be. Balloons can fly either very early in the morning or toward dusk. And if the conditions aren't right, they can't fly at all. You should probably make sure that you have a couple of days free for it, in case of bad weather or adverse conditions (i.e. too windy) - or at the very least, make sure you understand their refund policy if you can't go at the last minute and have no other time available.

Posted by
32212 posts

Tina,

There's some good information on Balloon rides in the France Guidebook (page 285 of the 2009 edition).

Posted by
41 posts

We took a hot air balloon ride in the fall of 2007...it was fantastic over chateau Chenonceau, Amboise, Loire River and other chateaus. You might google Mongolfier as that wasthe outfit we used. They did a great job. You saw the whole operation from the balloon inflation to landing. We also helped deflate the balloon and put it back in the cart. Then of course we had our toast of champagne!! Our guide led us to a "cave" for dinner which was outstanding. It was a rather pricey experience, but don't regret it.

Posted by
41 posts

Try to Google hot air balloon rides France and it should take you to the site. Good luck