Please sign in to post.

How does this itinerary sound?

Hi,
Trying to plan itinerary for 15 days in Germany September 2010. I was thinking of this. Tell me what you think.

4 nights Rhine/Mosel
3 nights Black Forest
2 nights Bavaria/Fussen (really want to see Alps)
2 nights Romantic Road Area
4 nights Berlin (this is a must see city for hubby)

What route would you take? What cities towns would you recommend staying at for sightseeing/day trips ect..
As you see the two areas that are must see's for us are Berlin and Alps. When I said Alps it doesn't have to be Fussen anywhere along the Alps is fine. We really want to do a luge and take a cable car up type thing.
Thanks for your help.

Posted by
7209 posts

Sounds ok except for the Black Forest. Maybe I missed something, but the Black Forest just looked like any rural area in Germany. What exactly did you want to see in the Black Forest.

When you travel on the Rhine maybe you would like to spend the night in a real castle http://www.german-castles.biz/

Also when you visit Fuessen, I much prefer staying in Schawngau-Horn which is about a 15 minute bicycle ride from Fuessen. The Hotel Helmerhof is one of my favorite hotels in the area. I would probably add another night here and do Castles Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau and Linderhof (a very pleasant little 1/2 day trip). There is a luge in Schwangau-Horn called Tegelberg

I might also deduct a night from both the Rhine and Berlin and spend those two nights in Munich...a very nice city.

Posted by
190 posts

Tim,
Thanks for the response. Since this is my husband's and mine first trip to Germany we really want to see a bit of everything. We are trying to stay away from Munich because of Oktoberfest because well it really doesn't interest us and we don't drink. I would love to see Munich just not during that time. So I thought the Black Forest would be a nice choice.
We are open really to any suggestions.

Posted by
2908 posts

Hi Wendy,

Although I've never been to the Black Forest area, I'd add those 2 nights to REALLY see the Alps. Fuessen is pretty much on the "outskirts" of the Alps. I'd suggest 2 nights in Fuessen (to see the castles, luge ride, etc.) with 2 nights in a place like Mittenwald. Mittenwald, which is our favorite town/village in Bavaria, has the Karwendelbahn (cable car), plus it's less than half an hour to Garmisch and the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain.

Tegelberg (mentioned by Tim), which is about a mile from Neuschwanstein, has both a cable car and luge ride. Both are very worthwhile.

If it's any help, we have photo's at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/travel15.html

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/travel1.html

Hope this helps.

Paul

Posted by
190 posts

Thanks Paul,
Your pictures are beautiful. What about doing 3 nights is each area Rhine/Mosel, Black Forest, and Bavaria with 2 nights Rothenburg and 4 night Berlin?
We may end up with more days I am hoping we can go for 17 days instead of 15. Now if we have 17 days then I will for sure plan on a longer stay in Bavaria. But we won't know until Jan. when my hubby can pick vacation time.
Thanks Again! :)

Posted by
7209 posts

Well since you're thinking about Rothenberg...Castle Colmberg is about a 15 minute drive away. It's a very nice castle hotel where you can actually "spend the night in a castle". We've done it on 2 previous trips and it's an interesting experience...something to DEFINITELY tell you friends and family about. Have fun.

www.burg-colmberg.de