Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Spain

My family (3 college aged kids, hubby and I) will be visiting Spain for Christmas and we are trying to decide on the best place for Christmas day-- Madrid, Barcelona or in between?? I am anxious to get this part booked and let the rest fall into place around it. Thanks

Posted by
324 posts

One of the best Christmases I've ever spent here was in León. A gorgeous cathedral with a wonderful mass. I think you'll find the experience more meaningful in a smaller town, whereas the big cities (e.g. Madrid or BCN) will not be anything special.

Posted by
586 posts

We arrived in Spain just after Christmas and stayed through New Year's last winter...and our preference would be Barcelona: big and varied enough, with much to see and do (and such gorgeous holiday lights and decor!), but not overwhelming, either, in scope or crowds. The crowds are big everywhere, but in Madrid it seemed like it could get a little crazy. Here's our Report from Spain blog post based on our trip (we started in Barcelona, then went to Madrid, Toledo & Sevilla): http://moltogentileitalia.blogspot.com/2009/01/report-from-spain.html

Posted by
3 posts

I think Madrid would be a better choice...but it depends on what kind of Christmas you want. I lived in Madrid for a few months and it seems more calm and less touristy and tacky than Barcelona. Barcelona was packed with tourists everywhere I went. So if you're going for an authentic Spanish christmas, I think Madrid would be better. Or as the previous person said, a smaller city like Leon, Burgos, or Segovia would be a great choice as well. Good luck!

Posted by
24 posts

We spent last Christmas in Spain a had a fabulous time. We were in Seville on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We attended late Christmas Eve mass at the huge cathedral and it was a meaningful, cultural and religious experience.

All cities and towns are decorated beautifully for Christmas. Wherever you end up, it will be wonderful. Be aware that most places (restaurants, stores, etc.) close around 2 pm on Christmas Eve and don't reopen until early afternoon on Christmas Day. Some restaurants host special Christmas Eve suppers, but they are astronomically expensive. We just purchased bread, meat, cheese, wine, etc. for the roughly 24 hours that things were closed.

ENJOY!