Please sign in to post.

Länder-Tickets

I don't believe we can use these tickets on ICE trains, does anyone have info on if we pay an extra fee to? Thanks in advance. Lee

Posted by
19099 posts

No, you cannot use the Länder-Tickets on ICE trains. There is no extra fee that would allow you to. Nor on IC/EC or IR (I actually haven't seen an IR in years). Länder-Tickets are only valid on regional trains RE/RE/IRE and a number of privatized regional trains in Germany listed as TR, BOB, ALX, and so forth. If you go to the German Rail website and select "only local transport", the trains shown will all be eligible for the Länder-Tickets.

The Bayern-Ticket is one of the Länder tickets and the rules for it are typical.

Posted by
12172 posts

One rule to remember, they start at 0900 to avoid commuter traffic.

For family/group travel where you will do short hops with intermediate stops. Nothing beats a Lander ticket.

Posted by
19099 posts

That 9 AM rule is for workdays; the tickets can be used from midnight on weekend days and holidays. On anyday, a Laender ticket is valid until 3 AM the following day.

If the train you want to take leaves a few minutes before 9, and the next train isn't until almost 10, you can use the earlier train. You just have to purchase point-point tickets to the first station after you get to after 9 AM, after which the Laender-Ticket is valid the rest of the day.

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks for the info, that answers my questions. It will help in the ticket planning. Have a good day. Lee