Please sign in to post.

Nimes, France

I am visiting Nimes (briefly) in late August. Does wine tasting exist just outside the city? I would love to find my way to a winery in the countryside for a couple of hours... Thoughts?

Posted by
10344 posts

Nimes is in the Costiere de Nimes sub-region of the Vallee du Rhone wine region; however, you said "just outside the city" and the main areas for wine in that region are well south of Nimes, in Saint-Laurent-d'Aigouze, St-Gilles, and Vauvert.

Posted by
46 posts

spooky... there seems to be someone (or someones?) with the same name as me, going same places at similar times...
Sorry, unhelpful post :-)

Posted by
1315 posts

Mas de la Dame is right outside Les Baux. Might be farther than you want to go but I recommend it.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for the info... Yes, "just outside the city," meaning if we were staying in Nimes, is there a winery relatively nearby that we could quickly get to... from my research (and Kent's response), sounds doubtful. I am going to be riding the rails south, with a stopover in Nimes (fascinated by its architecture and history) and just imagined (dreamed?) of drifting into the countryside and finding a winery... :)

And Chris from NZ, see you at the Roman amphitheatre! ;)

Posted by
1315 posts

My apologies. I should have specified that Les Baux is 45 minutes or so from Nimes. If you have time and a car, it would be worth a visit.