Please sign in to post.

travel in Switzerland

I plan to travel in Switzerland in Sept. 2009. One of my stop is Interlaken where I will take a train/lift/gondola to the top of Schilthorn.
As far as clothes: do I need a warm jacket and gloves?
Thanks,
Greg

Posted by
9100 posts

It's gonna be cold at the top. You can probably get away with layers of sweatshirts, and a light jacket. Most people only spend a very short amount of time on the outdoor observation deck, and stick to the indoor viewing area.

Posted by
6898 posts

I agree with Michael. Layed clothing. While it will be cold outside at the top of the Schilthorn, you may enjoy walking around Murren and Gimmelwald on the same journey. If the weather is warm (and it could be in September), you won't need the same clothing as you do at the top of the Schilthorn.

Posted by
432 posts

We were at Schilthorn at the end of Sept 05 and I don't remember it being too terribly cold. We had a couple of layers of clothing, but we sure didn't need gloves. We spent quite a bit of time outside on the viewing platform wandering around and taking pictures. Granted, I live in northern climes and I'm very used to cooler temperatures, but I remember seeing people in shorts and they didn't seem too concerned.

Posted by
44 posts

We were there in mid May this year and brought winter clothes for our trip. The weather forecast called for snow and highs in the 30s for the duration of our trip. What we got was clear, blue skies and 70s. Our jackets were not necessary. We could have worn shorts. The breakfast buffet was good at the top of Schilthorn and was reasonablly priced. Interlaken is good for a few hours but don't stay there. Head up to the mountains as soon as possible.