Please sign in to post.

Towels

My husband is on a new jag about packing microfiber towels for our trip through northern Spain and Portugal. We are booked at hotels in Barcelona and Lisbon, and at B&Bs the rest of the way. Do we really need to take towels? I can see buying beach towels when we first need them, and leaving them behind when we fly home.

Posted by
2297 posts

I do take my own beach towels along when we intend to go swimming at a vacation destination. And that's what we used them for. But I've never packed any other towels and never missed them. And your thought of buying cheap beach towels at the destination and leaving them behind is a really a good move.

I know some people take those smaller microfiber towels if they intend to do some laundry in a sink and like to use those towels to speed up the drying process of their clothing. But even for that I usually got plenty of towels from the hotel or B&B.

Posted by
689 posts

The only reason you'd need them is if you're staying in hostels, where they aren't supplied, but you aren't. Otherwise, would you take them on a US trip? If not, there's no reason to take them to Europe.

Posted by
186 posts

That would be a needless hassle. I can see your buying beach towels there and leaving them behind, but not bringing other towels. Why burden yourself with extra weight, etc.?

Posted by
213 posts

Jennie--I'm one of those people like Beatrix mentioned who packs a microfiber towel for rolling laundry in so it dries faster. I've also carried it in my day bag to dry off after being caught in rain. But, to be quite honest, I could just as easily get along without it. In Europe I've never needed one as a personal bath towel.

Posted by
23343 posts

It is wash cloths that are not provided. Towels are always provided.

Posted by
881 posts

The only time I carry a towel is when it's a beach towel, which I can also use as a blanket, a picnic blanket, and of course a beach towel. ;) No need otherwise.

Posted by
875 posts

Although most places do not have wash cloths, we've never been anywhere that didn't have towels. Maybe not soft, fluffy towels -- but always towels.

Posted by
4 posts

I went to Italy last year and brought along disposable paper baby washcloths, one for each night. They are pre-soaped; you just throw them in the trash when you're done. They're perfect for any country that doesn't supply washcloths. You find them in stores right next to the disposable diapers.
About the microfiber towel: I took Rick's to Italy and used it as a tablecloth for picnics, a blanket on the plane and trains, an exercise mat,
etc. I even used it to bring my not quite dry laundry back to our room. I won't leave the country without it.