Please sign in to post.

itinerary

My b/f and I will be travelling to Amsterdam in September. This is kind of our thought as a possible itinerary- is there anything not really worth the “hype” that should be avoided? Something we have missed that you recommend highly?? (I know our list is kind of vague). 17th- check in to our apartment (through Hotel Bema, tripadvisor has all positive reviews, anyone here have thoughts?) They tell us we will be on the border of the museum district within walking to leidsplein, van gogh, and vondel park. We plan on just walking around near our apartment, getting our bearings. Probably going into the city center. Basically scout around to see what we want to see, that maybe isn’t in the books. 18th-check out one of the big museums, probably Ann Frank, but doing this later on at night. Also the Bols museum and/Heinekin experience. The Jordaan neighborhood street festival is going on. The Library. I really want to see the view; I would like to take some photos up there—anyone know if that is ok? Otherwise, wander around, and see what catches our eye. Probably some of the smaller, “kitchey”(sp) museums. 19th—Today probably the Van Gogh, and maybe the Rijks. But we are not sure that is worth it, since the main building appears to still be under renovation? Then probably a canal cruise, which I am sure is the most touristy thing we can do. Does anyone recommend one in particular?? Red Light District, Leidsplein at night. 20th Parks: Vondel park, the botanical garden, maybe the zoo. Visit the Jordaan festival again. Possibly check out the various Churches. Maybe visit the University buildings. 21st—Go see Our lady in the Attic, ‘coffee shops,’ Nemo, Royal Palace, benigof (sp) 22nd—Cupymarket, the Pjip, possibly train to Rotterdam or Utrecht. Going back for second looks around town. 23rd—leave.

Posted by
9109 posts

The top floor of the library contains a "La Place" eatery, which kind of like an upscale cafeteria. There is outside seating available so taking pictures will be no problem. Nemo is more geared for school kids so IMO it's skippable. But docked outside Nemo is a 16th century warship which is interesting. You should definitely check out the Rijks, the wing that is still open contains the "all-stars" of the collection--many of them priceless. The Amsterdam branch of the Hermitage has just reopened and is now the largest art museum in the city (www.hermitage.nl). The zoo is excellent. Also worth visiting is the FOAM photography museum, and the Tropical Museum (Tropenmuseum). For evening activities consider the Boom Chicago imrov show, or catching a movie at the two Pathe multiplex cinemas located at Muntsplien.

Posted by
1633 posts

For my daughter and I, the Van Gogh and Rijks is definitely a must see. You can see them both in one day. Loved the canal ride--fun and informative. Have fun. It's a great city.

Posted by
9436 posts

We thought the Jewish Museum was absolutely riveting and amazing, not to be missed in my humble opinion.

Posted by
9109 posts

I love Jewish Museum as well. IMO it's the second best Jewish heritage Museum in the world (the Diaspora Museum in Tel Aviv is my favorite.) The temporary exhibits are top notch. Their most recent exhibit about Moroccan Jews was fascinating. The exhibit explained how the exodus from Morocco has left a scar in the entire fabric of Moroccan society. So much so that a common phrase spoken in Morocco goes something like: "Things haven't been the same since the Jews left".
The summer before there was another fascinating exhibit about the History of American Comic Books.

Another favorite Museum I left out of my original posting is the WW2 Resistance Museum located across the street from the Zoo. It's an excellent companion to the Anee Frank House.

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks! Appreciate the tips. I want to take semi-serious photos of the places we see, in addition to our more 'touristy' ones. (dunno if that makes sense)-- but I don't want to be rude or annoy anyone by taking lots of pictures either. I know not near the red light area, at all. And as much as I would love to in the Anne Frank-- but getting a visual picture of all my museum curator friends cringing and going: noooooo!! I won't. (as it is also not allowed to beging with- and i respect the rules.

we are hoping to find a nice local bar/ restaurant to get to know some local people- any suggestions?

My boyfriend's last name is Wichgers-- and we hope that will be a nice ice-breaker. (apparently it's very Dutch. ; ) )