Please sign in to post.

Seeking opinions on itinerary options

My husband has been traveling to Austria frequently for work and we are planning a time for me to come over and spend about a week traveling together. We are looking at mid-October and flying into and out of Munich. We are looking at Vienna-Salzburg-Innsbruck or Venice (incl. Verona and/or Padua and/or Vicenza). Opinions?

Posted by
655 posts

Hi Stephanie,

Lucky you. I guess it depends on which places you have previously visited but Vienna, Prague, and Budspest are worth considering.

Posted by
101 posts

Please make it a point to visit Hallstatt for at least 2 days. You will kick yourself if you don't. You must do Salzburg..it ia a small, beautiful, walkable city..you will love it. On the way to Vienna, spend some time in Melk or some other small town along the Danube. I would skip Innsbruck..not much when to compared to the others

Posted by
32303 posts

Stephanie,

I'd also highly recommend Salzburg and Hallstatt (if you have the time). If you travel to Hallstatt by rail, you'll be transported to the town in a boat named Stephanie.

While in Salzburg, you could also take a day trip to Berchtesgaden, a beautiful alpine town in south eastern Germany. If you're at all interested in WW-II history, be sure to visit the Eagle's Nest and the Documentation Centre above the town. There's also a Salt Mine that can be toured.

And of course there are also the sights in and around Munich, including Neuschwanstein Castle.

Happy travels!

Posted by
12313 posts

In mid-October, I would go with Venice area. The weather will still be comfortable in Northern Italy but will be cool to cold in Austria.

Posted by
253 posts

Richard and Ken both have it right. I highly recommend those ideas as well.