Please sign in to post.

Rain, Rain go away....

It looks like a washout in Paris for our weekend weather......it is showing rain/thunder....

I have been planning this trip almost a year, and it looks like crappy weather. How do you all enjoy your trip when the weather doesn't cooperate?

Sandi

Posted by
3313 posts

The current forecast looks like a mix of sun and showers. The temperatures will be in the mid-70s F which is quite comfortable.

Really, it doesn't look that bad. June showers tend to blow through quickly. When they do arrive, just duck under the canopy of a cafe, order a demi pichet of wine and enjoy a pause in your day.

Posted by
3250 posts

We've been surprised many times when a rainy forecast turns into a sunny day!

Posted by
14976 posts

Outside of a hurricane, I never let bad weather ruin my trip. I always have my handy, small umbrella with me and I go on with my day as planned.

And...if it should rain during your weekend, keep saying the following words to yourself and all will be fine:

"I'm in Paris."

Posted by
445 posts

In my experience of many trips to Paris at different times of the year, it can rain at any time. Paris gets a lot of rain!! It has never ruined a trip yet!
Besides they are talking about a percentage chance of thunder storms which as you know pass relatively quickly.. Be prepared with an umbrella and plan your day accordingly. There are lots of places to be inside. I have walked all over Paris in the rain!!!

One hint, I have often found in Paris that it is clearest in the morning so go to the Eiffel Tower early which you should do anyway to avoid long, long lines.

BonVoyage!!!

Posted by
220 posts

I find Paris really beautiful on a rainy night with the lights reflected on the wet streets and sidewalks. Strolling under a shared umbrella adds a little extra romance, assuming you're with a lover.

Posted by
44 posts

Hop on the TGV and come to Provence !!!

-Kevin

Posted by
842 posts

We never let rain stop us; rain gives you a great opportunity to visit all of the museums, and the Metro wisks you from one place to the other and keeps you dry.

Two XMass ago we toured Portugal for over a week. it rained like heck in the North; but we still had fun. Buy yurself an umbrella, and go out and explore!

Posted by
875 posts

Don't get depressed over a forecast -- you can never count on them being accurate. And anyway....you'll be in Paris! Just take a good umbrella and/or raincoat and get indoors if there's lightning.
If it's raining, I buy postcards of sites I want good pictures of -- and they're better than my photos would have been anyway. Rainy days are good for indoor things like museums, cafes, shopping, the Shakespeare & Co. bookstore, etc. If it's just misty, Pere Lachaise is really atmospheric in that weather.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
689 posts

I don't think rain ruins a city trip--there's too many indoor things to do. You even get around indoors (on the metro). It's not like you're spending all day walking or biking in the French countryside or hiking in the Alps, where rain would be a bummer.

Posted by
10344 posts

Ken told me it rained some in France during the first half of the month.

Posted by
103 posts

Thanks for all the replies!

I know it will be a great trip regardless of the weather....it's just been so rainy and cold here, I was hoping for a nice sunny vacation!

We are planning on Versailles for Sunday...is this good if it is rainy, as there is so much indoors at Versailles....

Sandi

Posted by
171 posts

OMG: Just think, you'll be in Paris. I am here in Maine only 15 min. from the ocean. It has been rainy from the 1st of May to today, June 23rd with very little sun to speak off. I feel so sorry for the people who come here to visit our lovely rocky coast to enjoy the sun and lay on the beach. There is no way they can enjoy the sun with a forecast of drizzly weather day after day.
You will have the excitement of a wonderful city to explore. Enjoy!!

Posted by
103 posts

Virginia,

We live north of you about 5 hrs....same rain, just colder!

I think I was just feeling panicked about the weather....I am used to going south for vacations (being from the Great White North), and a big part of our vacation is the weather! I know it is Paris....so even with rain...it is still Paris!

Thanks everyone....two more sleeps...I am so excited I can't even sleep anyway!

Posted by
870 posts

Sandi,
We were in Paris in late April and the weather report when we left did not at all reflect the weather we ended up with. So, I would not worry about it too much, bring an umbrella just in case, and have fun regardless. Paris is just so beautiful in all weather conditions. Also, when we went to Versailles, we spent a great deal of time outside enjoying the grand gardens and the hamlet, so I would look for a non-rainy day to enjoy Versailles.

Posted by
275 posts

Fortunately Paris has a lot of indoor attractions. On one occasion when it started to rain heavily I simply walked into a patisserie that happened to be nearby. So I had an unplanned coffee and pastry break. By the time I had finished it had stopped raining. When I have been caught in Paris on rainy days I have usually spent less time outdoors and made greater use of the Metro to get between places.

Posted by
34 posts

When it is raining, I look for the second tier museums or the smaller, indoor curiosities (homes of famous people, music halls, etc.) Essentially, you want to see things not available to you at home, but are distinctly unique to the city you are visiting. Another idea is try a cooking class, wine tasting, or cheese tasting; these all are readily available while in Paris and all are enjoyable. If you like hunting, look for a gun store (London is great for this) and learn about hunting in France. Go to the library and check out their antique section. There are tons of things to do that are seldom put on the calendar, but could easily turn into the highlight of your trip. Use your mind, be curious, review your hobbies or interests and get to know them there.

Regardless, smile and laugh. You are in Paris and nothing could be more enjoyable.

Posted by
2712 posts

We had good weather on our last vacation, but the three trips before that it was mostly rain. Scotland last June -- rain all but two days. Yosemite the September before that -- it rained two days and snowed (yes snowed) one day out of four days total, and this was in a month that they supposedly get almost no precipitation. Ireland that August -- rain almost every day we were there. After those three trips, I swore I was going to the Sahara for my next vacation.

Anyway, we had a great time on all three trips, so don't worry about it. Mostly we had drizzle which doesn't interfere with walking around and enjoying your surroundings. Sometimes the skies can be really beautiful when the weather is changing. We had a couple of disasters when we got just soaked -- but when it gets that bad, you just have to laugh. It can make for amusing stories when you get back home.

Posted by
354 posts

If you have a Paris Museum Pass, rain will give you the chance to pop in any of the 60 participating sites. You might enjoy something you hadn't planned on; plus, you can skip ticket lines rain or shine.

Posted by
53 posts

We were in Paris 2 wks. ago...and it rained 5 out of 6 days. For the most part it rained on & off during
the days...brought cheapie fold up umbrellas with
us as a precaution. We ducked into museums, rode
the Metro, etc. During our Versailles visit, it was
fine most of the day..but got caught off guard when
the rains came in the afternoon.

On our last day in Paris, the worse drenching was just after we completed
our early bird visit to the Eiffel Tower (we didn't
have our umbrellas with us).

Be sure to bring an extra pair of walking shoes to
replace your damp ones. Hope you have a fun time in
Paris.

Posted by
421 posts

two years ago it rained almost everyday we were there for a week. It never rained all day but it would come in rain for half and hour and clear up somewhat for a few hours...
there was one morning where it POURED and i mean poured.
It was about this time of year as well.

did it ruin it...never....I just felt like Hell I am paris...who cares....and you make it into part of the enjoyment....seeing the city in a different light. The morning it poured that hard we just relaxed in bed for a few hours.

Posted by
103 posts

We are in Paris right now...and it is sunny and warm....

:) Sandi

Posted by
3313 posts

Sandi - Thanks for the report! Let us know how it turned out!