Please sign in to post.

Toll charges

Can someone let me know the range of prices for the tolls in Austria (in general...I know it is a big country). In planning my trip and distances in Google Maps, I see toll route pop up now and again.

Thanks

Posted by
10344 posts

The www.viamichelin.com website gives you the tolls, you put in your route, it tells you the tolls and will even estimate fuel cost. It's similar to Google Maps, is a bit less user friendly, but gives you more info.

Posted by
1288 posts

I haven't driven everywhere in Austria, but I have gone from Vienna to Leichtenstein and from Munich to Italy...and tolls were not that common. There was a tunnel that we had to pay for on the way to Leichtenstein (9-10 euros) and a toll on the Brenner pass (8-10 euros) as you enter Italy. Other than that, we have never had to pay. HOWEVER...you do need to buy your vignette before driving in Austria. If you rent your car in Austria, you may already have one (but check before driving anywhere) If you rent outside of Austria, stop and get one before crossing the border (the police tend to lurk at border crossings and check for them) You can purchase at gas stations or right at the border. They can be purchased in different amounts depending on how many days you plan to drive in Austria. (about 8 euros for 10 days, 22 euros for 2 months)

Posted by
77 posts

We drove from Salzburg to Vienna through St Bad Ischl / Wolfgangesee/Hallstat/ Bad Aussee/ AltAusse/ Gmunden/ Melk/ Vienna. Even though our itinerary said Toll roads, we didnt pass any toll booths.!!!

Posted by
2779 posts

You pay for a toll sticker good for all Austrian toll roads for a certain amount of days/months. In addition to that there are only like a hand full of roads that require an extra charge...