Please sign in to post.

Public transport Normandy Beaches, France

Public transport on the Lower Normandy coast of France, around Caen and Bayeux.

The public bus system is called "Bus Vert". You can buy a hop-on-hop-off "Ticket Liberté" for unlimited use:

1 day: 11,90 €
3 days: 22,60 €
7 days: 32,40 €

or if you prefer you can buy individual tickets. You can buy tickets in advance, not on the buses themselves.

Tickets are available from Bus Vert offices:

Caen : Gare routière : place de la gare
Caen : place Courtonne
Bayeux : Gare routière, place de la Gare
Deauville : Gare routière, place de la Gare
Honfleur : Gare routière, rue des Vases
Lisieux : Place François Mitterrand

and from more than 90 other shops (mostly bar/tabac/presse) throughout the area.

Bus Vert Map of Normandy Coast Routes

Tickets are also valid on the Caen Twisto tramway system.

Posted by
10344 posts

Phil: Thank you for taking the time to post this. I've bookmarked the very handy bus map. Previously I had no information on the bus system in Caen and Bayeux area.

Posted by
23 posts

This is so helpful, Phil. Just the information that I have been looking for. (It's sometimes that practicalities, such as where to buy bus tickets, that trip me up when I am travelling.)

Posted by
66 posts

I remember how intimidating it was when first trying to negotiate a strange transport system - I hope this helps.

Phil

Posted by
3313 posts

Phil - I want to add my thanks for this. I've told people they really have no other choice to travel in Normandy than by rental car. From the route map it looks like one can get to a number of the D-Day sites (not that Normandy lacks other things to see) by bus - particularly Arromanches.

Thanks for reporting here from on the ground.