Please sign in to post.

Pack Light don't check

We pick up our new car in Munich, Germany on July 6th and plan to drive through Europe. Because of driving my husband refuses to NOT check his carry on bag. Also security at LAX and Lufthansa states we have to get our boarding pass at the airport. Means we'll be standing in lines anyway. Can anyone tell me a reason that my husband SHOULD NOT check his bag? He say's it doesn't make sense to NOT check b/c we aren't doing the train thing.
Thank you very much,
Barbara San Diego

Posted by
576 posts

My daughter greatly missed her bag in Italy.EIGHT days later it finally showed up.From now on we will do EVERYTHING possible to not have our carry-ons taken away from us.(Brussels airlines had an 11 lb limit that we weren't aware of,having flown American Airlines all the way to Amsterdam,and keeping our carry-ons with us on all the other legs.)From now on,if we have to put on multiple layers of clothing and stuff our pockets with socks and underwear,we will do it to keep our luggage under the weight limit and prevent anyone from taking our bags away.On our trip to Spain before that, our luggage was gone for 2 days(we couldn't pack light because we were bringing things to our former exchange student she had left behind.Everywhere we go,we hear horror stories of lost luggage.The airlines are just not dependable. Lost luggage can ruin a trip.We wasted too much precious time repeatedly calling the airlines and trying to shop to replace missing things.Checking is too big a risk!

Posted by
29 posts

Hi Barbara,
I'm a little confused by the double negatives ("refusing to not check") -- which I am taking to mean he WANTS to check his carry on bag? If that's correct, I have two words for you -- "lost luggage." Returning from Germany my husband and I checked our identical bags (Rick Steves' of course :-) ) at the exact same time. His showed up on the baggage claim. Mine...went "somewhere," and showed up 2 days later. On our most recent trip to France we encountered a woman who had been abroad for nearly a week and the airline still had no idea where her baggage was. I never, ever check luggage going to Europe (or any place domestic either if I can help it). If we've done heavy souvenir shopping I'll check a bag going home--but I only put in the checked bag what I'm willing to risk never seeing again (like dirty laundry). I'll gladly trade the discomfort of lugging my stuff around the airport for a couple hours against the risk of losing my "stuff."

Posted by
6898 posts

The defining factor may we weight. We just flew Lufthansa from LAX to Frankfurt. For 2nd class, there is an 18 pound limit. For business or 1st class, it's 36 pounds. As seniors, we have been traveling for many years. We have been separated from our luggage a few times. We always got it back in a day or two. For long trips, when we will have to check the luggage, we each have a small collaspable bag to carry prescriptions and other important items. I used to carry a change of underwear on board in the small bag (learned that in the Army) but haven't on recent trips.

Posted by
147 posts

We always ck luggage and if everyone would do the same, flights would be faster and better for everyone.

Check your luggage and relax.

Posted by
408 posts

Barbara,

If you have a direct flight to Munich, then I would check the bags. If you have a stop, then there is a chance that your bag could get lost. We usually check our R/s bags. We are also picking up a new car in October in Munich.

Posted by
2 posts

Luggage does get lost;flights cancel and delay. If you check your luggage, you could be without it for days.
Carry on what you need for the first few days..medication, glasses, toiletries, change of clothes and a pair of shoes, jacket, maps, important papers and travel documents. If your luggage gets lost or your flight delays, you will have access to your stuff.
I am a former airline employee. Believe me, I could write a book on lost luggage horror stories.
Always have a carry on bag with you.

Posted by
16 posts

On long trips of a week or more we check our bags. But we also each have a carry on with a change of underwear, at least 1 clean top, pills and other essentials. In the checked bags we cross pack our clothes. We each have at least one complete outfit in each others bags. That way should a checked bag be "misplaced" the other person has at least one outfit to wear. I learned that tip from a travel agent friend.

Posted by
16 posts

You may have to stand in line at the start of the trip, but why stand around waiting to collect checked baggage if you can just carry it with you?