Please sign in to post.

day trip from barcelona

if we only have one day to do a day trip from barcelona, which is the best place to go and why?

Posted by
180 posts

I would recommend going to Montserrat and it won't even take a whole day. There are organized bus trips or follow the directions in Rick Steves' book and take the easy public transportation.

Posted by
14 posts

My daughter fell in love w/Dali after taking art appreciation in college. We also had 1 day for a day trip...so off to Figueres on RENFE we went. It's an incredible museum and there's also a small separate museum that has a lot of the jewelry he made. I was not a big fan of Dali before...thought he was rather weird...I have a much better appreciation of his art after visiting this museum.

Posted by
421 posts

Monseratt is awesome
but if you want something different hit Sitges for the day and relax at the beach!

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you all! i was thinking about sitgues for the day. Is it beautiful and worth it? is there a cute town to walk around? more details please....

Posted by
446 posts

You might also consider the city of Girona, which is about an hour away by train. You can walk from the train station across the river to the old town, which is very beautiful.

Posted by
23 posts

I haven't been to Montserrat so I can't compare, but the Dali museum is a good way to spend some time. I am not terribly educated about art (unfortunately), but there are some pretty incredible things in this museum, including Dali's tomb. though not as relaxing as enjoying the beach.

Posted by
14 posts

If you like the beach, visit Sitges. I found it very beautiful and very quiet and quaint, compared to Barcelona. Of course, I was there in November, so if you are going in the summer it will probably be busier.

Another beach option would be to go to any of the small towns up Costa Brava (opposite direction from Sitges from BCN). I really enjoyed visiting Sant Pol de Mar. You could even make a day out of it, sitting on one beach and exploring one town, then moving on when you're ready.

Montserrat is awesome too. I would suggest not getting whichever travel pass gives you free food, and opt for the picnic. I ended up with a very large, but very mediocre food filled stomach.