Please sign in to post.

Cell Phone in France

We need a cell phone in France but our carrier Alltel has no service in Europe. We only need a phone for emergencies when we travel by car out of Paris. Where can we rent/buy one as we travel to Europe once every one to two years? Has anyone used the service Phone In Europe?
Thanks,
Lin

Posted by
32321 posts

Linda,

You might want to have a look at Cellular Abroad, Mobal, Roam Simple, Telestial or other firms that offer "travel" cellular phones. With these firms, you have the option of either buying only a SIM card and using this with an inexpensive, unlocked quad-band GSM phone from E-Bay OR you can buy or rent a complete package which includes the phone.

Be sure to check the rate structure and terms for each of the firms, so that you have a clear idea of what your costs will be. Some of the plans will "expire" if not used for a set period (usually 6 months to a year).

Cheers!

Posted by
850 posts

In addition to the ones mentioned also check with call in Europe. You can google them for their website.

Posted by
486 posts

Linda,

Inexpensive tri/quad band phones can be bought here or you can opt for a European bands phone over there. Don't rent as you will find that they will charge a huge fee far in excess of the real value of the phone if you rent.

Advantage of buying here:
1) Your phone can be checked out before you go
2) You can put the US contacts you'll need before you go.
3) It may be convenient to get a US prepaid card for US portion of trip so you can leave your expensive Alltel phone home.
4) You can buy a better/cheaper used phone. There will almost have to be new.

Advantage of there:
1) Buy local phone right there.

In either case, buy a prepaid French SIM over there.

But you will find it is so convenient for each of you to have phones if you want to or accidentally find you are separated. It makes one feel a lot safer when you know you can always find each other. Consider getting 2 and if you pay more than $40/phone used, you have paid too much.

Our phones have been on 2 European trips by us and two by people we loaned them to.

I can give you a lot more info or answer questions if you PM me.

Posted by
196 posts

Hi Linda,
I've taken an unlocked phone in the past and used call-back companies before and I've considered buying a phone in France but after much research I think I'm going to try Call in Europe. Their rates are low and they work really well for situations like ours (traveling once every 1 or 2 years). The only negative I've heard is don't call outside of France with this phone unless you are sure of the rate you will pay.

Posted by
425 posts

Linda - When you arrive, go to the nearest big supermarket (e.g. "Carrefour") and find the mobile phone desk. For 50 euros (or a lot less) you can get a phone and a sim card package which is all that you need. If you have an unlocked phone with you, they will sell you a sim card and air-time credit to use in it for 15-20 euros. Try it out in the store before you leave.

Roger Bruton

http://www.fermedecandeloup.fr