Please sign in to post.

Car Rental in Spain?

Has anyone used DoYouSpain.com to rent a car? Any suggestions on insurance. Rick has mentioned TravelGuard. Has anyone ever had to use the service in an accident. Any good advice?

Posted by
30 posts

I don't know about rental companies, but most people don't recommend renting a car in Spain. This is because Spaniards drive like crazy people. If you're just using a car to get from city to city you'll probably be okay, but it's really not worth it to try to drive a lot in any cities - including the smaller ones, with maybe 45,000 people in them. I lived in Spain for a year and saw one car accident actually happen (someone ran a red light just after it changed) and saw evidence of a couple others, this in a relatively small town outside of Valencia. Spaniards routinely turn their mirrors in when parking their cars because they will drive fast down narrow streets and having your mirror clipped off is a real possibility.

Spain is totally awesome, but if you're a cautious driver you could be in for some trouble renting a car there.

Posted by
2775 posts

I have rented in Spain before and will do so again. Both the rental I did in the past and the rental next week were with AutoEurope. My personal expereince with a lot of US traveling has lead me to be a big proponent of "name brand" rental companies and while Auto Europe is a consolidator they do work only with "name brand" (The car next week is from Avis for example)

I live in Atlanta and don't recall the drivers and/or roads being any worse then here. And traffic was much less.

I used the car insurance via my credit card. I have had to file a claim. (I clipped the side of a post in a parking garage and broke the headlamp) It was painless. You might check with your credit card company. Make sure it's primary and will cover you in Europe for the car you want!

Have fun!

Posted by
46 posts

Thanks. Great advise from both. I have been trying to get around driving on my Portugal and Spain trip. My current plan is to keep the driving to the small scenic back roads and some toll roads. Any city driving I am going to park the car and use public transport or just use the trains and buses for hitting those cities. I have a quote fron auot europe, so I will take that advise from you, too. Also, I will drive defensively, if possible.
Makes me wants to get a bigger car!!

Posted by
2775 posts

I think a bigger car is going to be worse not better.

The problem is the streets etc are just "narrow" So a bigger car really is harder to deal with.

As someone was was in an accident in the US where my car was totaled it's a MYTH that "bigger is safer" My small car was totaled and I walked away without a bruise, the woman who hit me in the SUV took the ambulance to the hospital. (Ambulance had been sent for me because "the girl in that car must be injured" NOPE! Saftey is more in the "build" of the car then the size IMHO)

Posted by
5 posts

Folks,

How about Liability Insurance? My USAA policy does not cover us in Europe.

Has anyone bought the Liability insurance from a Rental car company? Good/bad/indifferent experience?

Any other recommended sources for Liability ins?

Thanks,

Rog

Posted by
9369 posts

I think liability insurance is part of the regular insurance that you get when you rent the car. You could check www.insuremytrip.com to see what they offer.

Posted by
46 posts

Most rental companies carry the liability. I will go with travelguard.com for addition coverage. Rick recommended. Part of AIG so I guess we own it!! $9.00 to cover your car with a $250 deductable.

Posted by
5 posts

Folks,

We are about to head out to Spain. We have made reservations with Alamo: Website takes some experimentation to make work and the folks on the phone are pretty good.

AutoEurope is tougher to use: Both website and phone help, and the prices are higher and they demand a credit card charge to hold the reservation.

Has anyone had bad experiences with Alamo? (Recently)

Thanks,

Rog Smith

Posted by
324 posts

"...most people don't recommend renting a car in Spain. This is because Spaniards drive like crazy people."

Alex: actually, the U.S. has roughly 36% more traffic fatalities per capita than Spain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate). In light of American practices like drinking coffee while driving, talking on the cell phone (illegal in Spain), etc. one might make the claim that Spaniards aren't the only ones who drive like crazy people.

That said, I would not recommend using the car for urban transportation -- virtually all cities here are either small enough to be completely walkable, or have an efficient public transportation system. Most cities here also significantly predate the invention of the car, and as such have narrow streets, few parking spots, etc. A driver's nightmare, in other words. On the other hand, highways tend to be well marked and in a condition which ranges from acceptable to extremely good (you get what you pay for). If traveling with several people, a car can be an attractive, economical option.

I've had best experience renting with Atesa/National. Most rental places have the option of purchasing full coverage insurance instead of minimal coverage and a cc deposit. I highly recommend doing so.

Posted by
46 posts

This was my posted question and I just returned so I am full of answers to my own question! I know a little more but made a few mistakes and some good decisions, too.

Mistake #1: do not drive through the wrong exit on the toll roads. The one marked for cards is serious and you cannot even stop and pay. They just video your car and contact your rental company.

Good idea: Get a car small enough to drive through any small village street. Gave us more options for parking and explored wonderful towns.

Mistake #2: Get a very small car but get some power, too. My KIA Picanto was a little under powered and subject to some tail-gating on two lane mountain roads.

Mistake #3: Use more free roads and less toll roads if you have time. See some interesting people and country.

Mistake #4: The internatioanl license is not needed in Spain according to the rental company. they wanted my CA drivers license. I think that Rick should verify this new info.

Good idea: I feel that all the companies are about the same except for the insurance, which is important. Go for price. If the car company does not carry enough insurance, get travel guard. I used DoYouSpain.com and got a car through Auriga Crown. Sounds fly by night, but it turned out to be cheap. good car, good coverage and right at the train station for a quick change from trains to cars.

As for the Spanish drivers, they are about the same as the Portugese and many others around the whole world.. I was a dumb tourist and they were jerks about their roads. They have few multi-lane roads and they have places to go with fast cars. If you drive with the flow of traffic, keep to the right except to pass and get back again, you will be fine. I got back home yesterday and missed my Spanish car and roads; love those traffic circles. Defensive driving; get plenty of insurance!

All in all. I liked the combination of some public transportation and some driving. Best of both worlds.

Posted by
4555 posts

Chris...you raise some good points about driving in Spain. But your point "Mistake #4: The internatioanl license is not needed in Spain according to the rental company. they wanted my CA drivers license" is incorrect. The car rental company people speak English, and they need the complete details of what is on your California license, including the serial number, etc. They could care less whether you have an international drivers' permit or not. However, it is a legal requirement that you have one with you in Spain....it is meant more for the police officer who may not understand English.